Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Modular Steels for an 80

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
OK ladies, I would appreciate some help or clear thinking with respect to my modular steels, if someone with more brains than me would be so kind.

I have a set of four, 16"x10" and I want to get hold of a fifth. Trouble is they're non-standards and I don't want to get one with different dimensions from the other 4.

Failing that, I'd like to get my hands on a set of 5 of similar dimensions.

Here they are, I bought them new off a shelf in 2006 and I've recently had them
refurbed...

16" diameter
image.jpeg

10" wide
image.jpeg

Now, the complicated bit (for me) offset or backspace or whatever folks want to call it (why is it we can't all speak the same language when talking about the same thing?)

With a straightedge, I measured rim edge to centre on the outside = 168mm
image.jpeg

I measured rim edge to centre on the inside = 104mm
image.jpeg

Would it be correct to take the total width (rim edge to rim edge) = 278mm, divide it by 2 = 139mm and deduct this from the outer dimension of 168mm = 29mm

Would this be known as -30 offset?

What would be the backspace, 104mm?

If the above is/are incorrect would someone kindly assist me with this.

The more I read about rim dimensions, the more confused I get. It doesn't take much these days... :icon-rolleyes:

I just want want to know what to search for on the inter-web, either 1 or 5.

Thanks...

Last edited:
Too tired to even try to work it out but my first thought was -32 is a more common offset and i wonder if the thickness of the rim might have something to do with the unusual 29mm ?

Jap modular 16x10 -32 should not be difficult to find

Last edited:
Is it not written on the wheel i can see 16x10 ???? ???? ? 10 9 2006 on there .

Negative offset brings the wheel closer to the curb , i think backspace is what Americans (and LR people) call offset .

Bloory 'ell Shayne you've wrapped it all up in one (3 actually) post :lol: :clap:

I've been searching for ages and I can find 16x10s but with no reference to offset, here stated as ET (whatever that is)

TBH -30, -32, its close enough for me, like you say, the difference could be half of the thickness of the steel which appears to be about 4mm.

Thanks matey, this is great, the link even has the same stamping pattern, the "D" shaped holes :dance:

Yes Clive, those Belgian shops are awesome....:whistle:
Btw ET = EinpressTiefe.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes Clive, those Belgian shops are awesome....:whistle: Btw ET = EinpressTiefe.

Hey, thanks Firewout, didn't even recognize it was Belgian, looked more like Dutch to me :lol:

The rim in that link appears to be exactly what I want and they're probably the same rim as I have, which would be ideal.

Fingers crossed they are available.

I've found a guy here that does regular wheel & tyre road transportation between London and Romania at reasonable rates, via cities close to the route between.

He may be able to assist if the supplier wont ship here. :thumbup:

I had just gone to bed when i remembered ET is the key and with you living out there in paradise i thought different timezone so 5 minutes here might save you a few hours there , 16x10 ET-30 and the link was the very first result :thumbup:

If only i could find wheels for myself so easy :icon-rolleyes:

I had just gone to bed when i remembered ET is the key and with you living out there in paradise i thought different timezone so 5 minutes here might save you a few hours there , 16x10 ET-30 and the link was the very first result :thumbup:

If only i could find wheels for myself so easy :icon-rolleyes:

I recon with a small amount of fettling, you could get the same rims to fit yours Shayne.

They're identical to the ones you fitted at my place, so you'd know better than me, you had them back off before I'd even got out of bed IIRC, how was the fit?

Been kicking myself ever since because i forgot to take a photo for future reference . It could be done with some fettling i suppose but it would leave no room for Subaru's stuck in the treads . What size tyres were on them ?

Right now i have 16x8 ET-38 (iirc) and it has occurred to me that with the original wheels being ET+15 (agian iirc?) a wider rim is possible , 16x9 with a zero offset maybe .

I don't think i will go bigger than 285/75's because the truck isn't heavy enough so too much contact with the ground costs grip . What i would like is lighter wheels but being a fussy bugger all the ones that make me smile are very expensive . I like a bit of bling but ultimately my truck is a tool to be used and abused and there has to be a line drawn somewhere on cost :(

Doesn't stop me thinking about moving the entire body back an inch so i can give her a wider stance though :lol:

With 285s Shayne, I don't think there's any benefit to go to 10". A lot of guys run 315s on 8" without issues, it's just a thing I have that with my 305's I like the way they behave on 10" rims. It's personal!
Weight is an issue, these are bloody heavy. With tyre, I recon it's 40+ kg, but I've never weighed them. With my back issues I've thought long and hard about alloys, but with my phobia for 10", the choice is limited and expensive.

I should just get a set of standard 80 8" alloys and be done with it.

Aye its all personal preference we have discussed before that we differ inasmuch as i like the tyre protecting the rim and bodywork so i'm good where i'm at but i will keep dreaming about long travel ifs .

You have to have a dream Shayne, nothing to live for when they all come true though:lol:

What size tyres were on your 16x10 rims i test fitted to my truck Clive ?

And did the wheels i tried have a negative offset as well do you think ?

Yep, all my rims are the same dimensions, 10" x 16 (-20mm)

Tyres are BFG MUDs 305/70/16 (I'm running them on the truck right now, 'cos the GG ATs finally wore out) :lol:

Thanks Clive i asked again here meaning to delete the question on the other thread where it wasn't relevant to the convo , and then forgot to delete it :icon-smile:

I'm struggling to work out how i can go wider (more to hide the calipers and ball joint than for any other reason) while keeping the outer side of the wheel/tyre where it is .

Custom wheel banding might be the best option .

Thanks Clive i asked again here meaning to delete the question on the other thread where it wasn't relevant to the convo , and then forgot to delete it :icon-smile:

I'm struggling to work out how i can go wider (more to hide the calipers and ball joint than for any other reason) while keeping the outer side of the wheel/tyre where it is .

Custom wheel banding might be the best option .

No problem Shayne.

Well wider (to 10") rims but with + 20 or + 30 offset, instead of negative, should do it.

Back