Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another fuel leak!

Towpack

Garage
Country Flag
england
Well bu**er me. As if a leak from the IP isn't bad enough I now have a leak from the other end. Looks like the tank filler pipe. No really obvious corrosion but it's obviously holed somewhere. I brimmed the tank last week and haven't used much so the pipe will be full. Our drive is about a 30deg slope so I parked facing uphill which stopped the drip from the IP but the leak from the filler pipe has appeared. The bit nearest the tank looks sound and is dry so I'm thinking I could maybe cut the leaking section out and replace with a length of silicone pipe of the right dia. There's also a breather pipe which I could do the same with. Any thoughts?
Dang, that's 2 faults in a week, might be time to scrap the old girl:lol:

Same happened to mine corroded filler pipe, bought a second hand one off Karl, coudn't get the bugger in, so cut it and sleeved it with fuel resistant hose, think you have to lift the body to get the filler in and out..... stuff that, too much hassle.

Fit a sub tank with duel filler neck, it will be easyier. ..

They usually rot on top about half way along where it is bolted to the body so you can't really see what's going on with it in situ. I would cut it near the filler where the pipe goes over the chassis as if doing a dual filler install and replace the remaining section either with second hand from Karl or 77109-60052 which I don't think are silly money and is the shorter dual filler version of that pipe so just replaces the part you would cut out and join them together with a short section of hose.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Been out and had a closer look tonight and I think that is where the leak is, around the area where it passes through the body cross member and is clamped to the body floor. The OD of the large pipe is 43mm. I can't see any reason why the whole thing can't be replaced with a length of rubber/silicone fuel hose from the tank back to just below the filler neck where the pipe is sound and could be cut. Same for the smaller pipe which is 14mm OD.

I replaced a large section of mine with rubber. It was like Swiss cheese. Milner sell the whole double pipe complete. I found it a bit tricky to get over the cross member so it came out in bits. But as I was putting the dual neck in it needed shortening in any case.

That is exactly what I did Towpack.

regards

Dave

Think I'm going to go for the rubber replacement. The pipe from Milners isn't a bad price but the general consensus is that the body has to be raised from the chassis slightly to get it in without cutting it so that's out. Can't seem to find exactly the right pipe ID though. Nearest is 40 or 45mm so might be better going for 40 which'll make it a tight fit but should go on with a bit of lube.

The shorter dual filler neck version doesn't need the body lifting to fit.

Back