Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

07 landcruiser camshaft trouble

cruiserIRE

Country Flag
ireland
Hi

So I recently bought myself a 2007 3.0 landcruiser with a small oil leak. Anyways turned out to be a bigger issue then I first thought ...
Oil is leaking from the camshaft seal so I have a new seal ordered and will be installed Wednesday. My mechanic seems to think the camshaft may be warped as there’s a tapping sound coming from the jeep first thing in the morning and lasts until it warms up which I believed was injectors until this ....(it was cheap for a reason)

not familiar with these jeeps im just wondering did anyone else come across this problem and what sort of a job is it to leave right?
All advice and help appreciated. Thanks

The cam seal has been known to leak in a few cases , but warped cam I dont think I have ever heard of one to be warped , even cam shims out of tolerance for the valve clearance is very rare unless they have done 400k miles plus or never had oil changes for many thousands of miles , if the cam seal is leaking the timing belt and tensioner and idler pully and cambelt back plate need to come off to access and remove and install the cam seal , on the cam seal replacement your looking at around 2 hours for a average mechanic , depending how cold the outside temp is and how bad the tapping is at startup , coz these engines can give a tapping sound when cold , if its bad it could be the injectors if its done more than 130k miles they can start tapping louder than normal when cold . a check with tec stream diagnostics will confirm if your injectors are worn out , your mechanic may be used to working on landrovers etc to make such a judgement of the camshaft might be warped , if its injectors your looking at 1500 euros plus to get the job done right . if the injector seals have been leaking and the carbon has started blocking the oil pickup in the sump the engine can sound loud till the oil warms up to thin out to get past the clogging oil strainer , draining the oil out of the sump and looking up the drain hole with a torch will confirm if the injector seals are leaking and causing the oil pickup to start blocking up and if it is blocking up it needs unblocking asap before the engine dies through oil starvation .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,

so hopefully I know more Wednesday when the new seal is in. If it cures the leak it’s more then likely injectors that’s causing the awful noise so?
The engine was rebuilt on this jeep 3 years ago due to a hole being burnt in a piston probably from lack of servicing and not cleaning the gauze in the sump.
The noise can vary a lot. If the jeep is cold on a cold day it can take 5 minutes of driving to clear. Acceleration leads to the noise getting loud. At idle the jeep is very smooth. It can be a small bit lumpy when cold too but not very noticeable.
Thanks for the help.

Interesting to see the diagnosis on Wed after the new seal is installed. Is there many miles on the engine since it was rebuilt?

we will try the seal and hope it cures the oil leak and if it doesn’t cure it the mechanic reckons the head is warped and allowing oil seap out past.He is a Toyota mechanic and says he came across a similar case before. I’m hoping I’m not going to have to replace the head. There’s only 170k miles on the jeep anyways and it seems to be genuine mileage from service history. So I’d imagine 20 to 30 thousand miles at the most.

we will try the seal and hope it cures the oil leak and if it doesn’t cure it the mechanic reckons the head is warped and allowing oil seap out past.He is a Toyota mechanic and says he came across a similar case before. I’m hoping I’m not going to have to replace the head. There’s only 170k miles on the jeep anyways and it seems to be genuine mileage from service history. So I’d imagine 20 to 30 thousand miles at the most.
Where is the oil leaking from exactly , have you dried or wipe cleaned the area to see exactly where its coming from , I have seen 1KD engine leaking oil from the rocker cover at the timing belt end just because someone who removed it may have used a new rocker seal gasket but not applied sealant at the four silicone sealant points at the timing belt end of where the rocker cover sits in place .

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Where is the oil leaking from exactly , have you dried or wipe cleaned the area to see exactly where its coming from , I have seen 1KD engine leaking oil from the rocker cover at the timing belt end just because someone who removed it may have used a new rocker seal gasket but not applied sealant at the four silicone sealant points at the timing belt end of where the rocker cover sits in place .

I haven’t but the mechanic has cleaned it and seems to think it’s leaking at the camshaft seal.

He would had have to take the timing belt cover off to think its leaking from the cam seal , unless its leaking quite a lot and coming out from the timing belt cover .

He would had have to take the timing belt cover off to think its leaking from the cam seal , unless its leaking quite a lot and coming out from the timing belt cover .

Yes, sorry he had the timing belt off as he was replacing the crankshaft seal as I originally thought it was this seal and ordered a new seal for it, so was aswell put it in when he was that far.

Yes, sorry he had the timing belt off as he was replacing the crankshaft seal as I originally thought it was this seal and ordered a new seal for it, so was aswell put it in when he was that far.

Crankshaft seal did go on mine - is that common?

Can you please tell me has just killed your problem because I have a loCan you please tell me has just killed your problem because I have Same problem with my Land RoveSame problem with my LandCruiser I have ordered some new seals Has this stop the Leak ?

Back