Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

08 Land Cruiser Engine Immobilizer Shut Down!

eurlcname

Good day,

Using my 2008 JDM Toyota Land Cruiser, I had a unique experience earlier, I drove off without the smart key for couple of hours, parked, switched off engine and then realized that I have forgotten the smart key at home, later was able to get the smart key but without luck, it wouldn’t start, there is current but no response whatsoever, the start button light doesn't react either, the vehicle is just dead..

Disconnected and reconnected the battery poles after an hour, still nothing both smart keys/remotes are working, light comes on.
The engine starts only using the Toyota remote starter but everything remains the same, locked steering wheel, would go off if put in gear or if door is open which is normal after starting the engine using the remote engine starter....

Once connected to an OBD the error message came; “Error B2289 immobilizer key timeout", couldn't reset or clear the code.
Later I realized that I have had both smart keys in the car (and remote start) at the same time, one on me and the other in the center console, it has been like this for few days, working fine, not sure what was different this time, is this normal, what could have been the cause?

Any idea on what exactly is required/used and how to reset the engine immobilizer?

Do you think that we are necessarily going to need a Toyota expert using their Techstream devise or it can be done using a good OBD Scanner by any knowledgeable technician?

I ask as my situation is unique, our local Toyota dealership doesn't bring in Land Cruisers mine was imported individually from Japan..
Is the procedure standard across the Toyota range?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Back