Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1 HZ Dilemmas

David

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
My 2011 Troopy has a 1HZ engine with a aftermarket turbo
On long motorway climbs I struggle keeping the EGT temps to a reasonable level. and often have to drop my speed by 15 to 20 mph to achieve this
So here are a few options
Leave it alone until one day it melts the pistons and a very big bill

Fit an intercooler some say this will drop the EGT by around 100c,
only interested in a front mounted one, PDI coolers in Aus are going to make a front mounted one for a wide nose 70 very soon but have no idea on price yet

Fit a good or rebuilt 1HDT most expensive option I think and will the weak gearbox stand it?

Get rid of the turbo and put it back to standard, will be like driving a snail but it will out last me maybe
So what is the consensus on here on the best way forward?
David

fitting a cooler is going to cost Dave and will go a good way to a 1hdt.

if your wanting a cooler and are happy with what you have now then run it to the death.

if you go down the new engine routeremeber you have your 1hz to sell ;)

fitting a cooler is going to cost Dave and will go a good way to a 1hdt.

if your wanting a cooler and are happy with what you have now then run it to the death.

if you go down the new engine routeremeber you have your 1hz to sell ;)
The worse thing is I had an 80 with a good engine then sold it when I moved sheds as I was running out of time to shift stuff, bugger I was a pratt

Live and learn Dave. could always buy another 80 and switch the lumps so you still have a complete truck to sell.

Be no dilemma for me if i was in your position David , an engine swap , arch flares and big offset wheels , no reason very practical tool can't be a fun toy as well :auto-layrubber:

If your happy enough with the performance and it's the high egts that are a problem I would go with a cooler.

You know the engine and it's history.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If your happy enough with the performance and it's the high egts that are a problem I would go with a cooler.

You know the engine and it's history.
The performance is ok for what it is for a truck weighing well over 3.5 ton just would like to drive at 70 without having to back off for the EGT to cool down a bit

I know what you mean. I'm running too much fuel at the moment so have to back off on long inclines.

What brand EGT gauge are you running? Is the pyro pre or post turbo? What’s the highest temp you have seen on the gauge??

What brand EGT gauge are you running? Is the pyro pre or post turbo? What’s the highest temp you have seen on the gauge??
It is a Madman and is pre turbo the alarm on the gauge is set at 600c and I try to keep it under 500c but have seen 625c on occasion

Based on the experience I have with such experiments I would suggest *go back to stock!*. If you want to climb hills with 100mph get a Porche:sunglasses:
I had an aftermarket turbo fited on 1HZ (on TLC80) and it took me forever to adjust. Once I had sufficient setup of the turbo.....got the same problem as yours. I bought and intaled Safari intercooler. There was a significant difference!...Surprisingly the performance was very different on a different day (cold or warm), Difference was noticeable after cold start or if the engine was already warm. I went nuts trying to make it work. It is very delicate setting of the fuel pump.I even took it to Germany and had it fix....it did not last long . So long story short, I gave up a couple of years ago trying and now my 80TDI is sitting in the garage:pensive: I'm driving and overlanding with my other 80 which is 1HZ stock.
Once again, this is my experience and my subjective opinion:)

As you know Dave, my 80 has the stock 1HZ and folks are always nagging me to fit a turbo...
TBH, I don’t need one, it does everything I want it to, and I’m resigned to cruising at between 100 - 130 kph with no mental health issues.
I got close to fitting a turbo once, but chickened out with all the discussions of EGTs and damaged pistons.

However, i don’t overland great distances, so if I were in your shoes, with a turbo already fitted, I’d probably shell out for a good intercooler.

As you know Dave, my 80 has the stock 1HZ and folks are always nagging me to fit a turbo...
TBH, I don’t need one, it does everything I want it to, and I’m resigned to cruising at between 100 - 130 kph with no mental health issues.
I got close to fitting a turbo once, but chickened out with all the discussions of EGTs and damaged pistons.

However, i don’t overland great distances, so if I were in your shoes, with a turbo already fitted, I’d probably shell out for a good intercooler.
TBH Clive I found it hard to keep up with your 80, but mine would weigh a good bit more I would think

Has the injection pump been fitted with the boost compensator?

Personally i'd take off the turbo. We have a 1HZ, non-turbo and she admittedly is very slow. But she has the power when and where we need it, and although its a terrible cliche for me its more about the journey than the destination, so i'm happy to just take it slow and watch the world go by, but then she isn't our daily driver so we are only ever in her when we are travelling in nice places.

Dose the top of the injection pump look like so?

ED1B1F49-A422-4F05-A593-F212FBCADDEA.png

I will have a look later, so what doe that piece do ??
Alters the fuelling when the turbo kicks in. :icon-evil:
Otherwise the turbo is just adding more air.

Of your options, I would say to go with the intercooler. Maybe lower the boost slightly.

Alters the fuelling when the turbo kicks in. :icon-evil:
Otherwise the turbo is just adding more air.

Of your options, I would say to go with the intercooler. Maybe lower the boost slightly.

Simple as that really, the more boost you run the more you increase the pressure in the intake manifold, the pressure from the intake manifold is piped in the the boost compensator. Essentially you can more accurately tune the pump to suit the turbo, as it is now you can only adjust the dash pot fuel which is probably what’s been done. By fitting the compensator you could decrease the dash pot fuel and just get the additional fuel when it’s needed.

Personally I’d go intercooler and boost compensator then find someone that know what they are doing and get it set up with the correct AFR’s.

Back