Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

10 Great reasons to visit Namibia

BRE Fabrications LTD

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Not so much a trip report. Just though I'd share a few pics from trips I have done in Namibia over the last few years.

DSC_0263-1.jpg

S6301154-1.jpg

S6301209-2.jpg

DSCN0447-5.jpg

DSC_0469-14.jpg

DSC_0365-2.jpg

DSC_0309-2.jpg

S6301274-3.jpg

IMG_0074-11.jpg

DSC_0251-1.jpg

DSC_0149-Edit-4.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

_MG_6351-13.jpg

_MG_6431-16.jpg

Cool, didn't realise that elephants and lions could camp. :whistle:

Very scenic indeed, somewhere I have always wanted to visit.....

Looks great. Has been on my list for a while.

Are they your own vehicles and equipment or rented?

Excellent pic's there Ryan! Someone clearly knows their way around a camera, and has an eye for a photo. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very nice. Regret not doing more when I was there.

Sent from TapaTalk

Time to group book a RORO package for a club outing? Southampton to Walvis for the trucks, fly to Jhb then Walvis for drivers & navigators, then 3 weeks around Nam and Bots???

Damn - where's my lotto numbers gone??

Southampton to Walvis and back for the trucks about £2,2k
Fly to Jo'burg return, £690

Then the 3 weeks Namib travel, say £2k

£5k should cover it ?

Or am I way wide of the pricing?

Graham

Graham said:
Southampton to Walvis and back for the trucks about £2,2k

Then the 3 weeks Namib travel, say £2k

£5k should cover it ?

Or am I way wide of the pricing?

Graham

I've looked into the numbers before and you are probably pretty close. £2,2k would get you RORO return. With RORO, you hand over the keys and with a car full of kit, well ... Container would be safer but you are looking at £4k+. Although it would work out cheaper if you shared a 40 foot container. Insurance is probably on top of that and you might need to pay port landing/clearance fees as well. But for a three week trip it might be more worth while picking up a rental 4x4 with camping equipment for similar money - without the hassle of shipping, delays or problems of being a continent away if you have a breakdown. I think you would need to be there for say 6 weeks to make the shipping worth while.

Like Gary said, where's that lottery ticket

SpinDrift said:

The hilux's are rentals, they come fully kitted out from http://www.crossroads4x4hire.com (shameless plug ;)) . The cruisers belong to my father in law.

Graham said:

You'd be better off flying to Windhoek via Frankfurt and take a transfer or rent a car to drive to Swakopmund/Walvis. That way you don't have to Fly Jo'burg Walvis (which is approx £300)

The biggest advantange of Southern Africa is that you dont have the turmoil and threats North Africa suffers from. And you have greater variety - desert, coastal, bush, wild game

SpinDrift said:
The biggest advantange of Southern Africa is that you dont have the turmoil and threats North Africa suffers from. And you have greater variety - desert, coastal, bush, wild game

Southern Africa doesn't suffer so much from large scale turmoil in the way North Africa has recently, but these things rarely cause problems for tourists. I was in Egypt around the time of the revolution and it was fine. From the places I've been Southern and Eastern Africa are more risky in terms of personal safety and liklehood of being robbed than North Africa. I would say the place I felt safest was North Sudan. The wild game is definately better in Southern Africa but there's equally diverse landscapes in the north, and it's also very culturally diverse.

Namibia is a great destination though, somewhere I'd love to go back to. For somewhere to turn up, rent a 4x4 and hit the road you can't beat it. There's loads of people renting out double cab Hilux's with roof tents in Windhoek and it seems it's no problem to cross over to Botswana with a rental too. If anyone's thinking to go there I wouldn't look at shipping your own truck unless you want to spend months rather than weeks.

Ryan Thomson said:
SpinDrift said:

The hilux's are rentals, they come fully kitted out from http://www.crossroads4x4hire.com (shameless plug ;)) . The cruisers belong to my father in law.

Graham said:

You'd be better off flying to Windhoek via Frankfurt and take a transfer or rent a car to drive to Swakopmund/Walvis. That way you don't have to Fly Jo'burg Walvis (which is approx £300)
That sounds better, but probably won't attract the cheap fares from UK to Jo'burg
The further from Jo'burg airport the better if you ask me.

Graham

I'm finally moving back to Namibia in October for good, after being here for 10 years (the weather finally got to me), and I am seriously looking forward to visiting all these places again. If any of you are planning a trip out there, please do get in touch, I'll be glad to help with any queries or booking, or even joining up for part of the trip..

Back