Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 Series 4.2td 24v Alternator

Roger

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Does any body know if the 125amp 100 Series 4.2td 24valve alternator fits the 12v? I cant see why not from pictures (oval to round plug issues assumed).

On my 80, I put the bigger alternator in and had to modify the bracket which pushes it out for tension as the body of the new alternator was a smidgin too big to allow the bolt to go in. I think some alternators come with a new bigger bracket.

The 150 amp alternator from the American market Sequoia is quite a large beast and that bolts in with a minor adjust bracket mod, so I think the 100 should go in, the square (four pin) versus the stock three pin is easy enough to sort.

regards

Dave

Cheers Dave, going to make the jump and do it along with some new main wiring.

After ignoring the clues of a failing alternator bearing for around 3 months I found myself at 8am broken down on the A46 near Leicester. Stripped out the old alternator on the roadside and called a local (ish) motor factor who could supply a unit by 2pm - so all I had to do was travel 15 miles or so - it turns out the AA are not allowed to carry such a thing as a emergency fan-belt now (I was hoping to just drive on battery power - 2 batteries, old school diesel, not an issue). So on the back of a recovery truck it was.

I go to the auto-factors - two problems, 1st its the oval plug and not the round and 2nd it was only a 60amp unit (not the 80 amp I had - I wont go into the battle about my original alternator not looking brand new for the core unit exchange at the auto-factors :triumph: - finally convinced them that dirt is not damage:tearsofjoy:). Anyway needed to get rolling - had a caravan in tow and off road trial the next day.

Fortunately I had already bought an oval wiring pig tail for £8 off ebay - so that was a case of just mapping wires across - the new alternator was fitted and I was up and running again - unfortunately just touching the winches really made this alternator scream!

So I bought one of the 120amp units from Ebay for less than I paid for the 60amp unit :triumph:

alt0.jpg

This is the 60amp unit fitted

alt1.jpg

Left an old 80amp unit, middle new 60amp and right 100 series 120amp
As much as I could measure, the only difference being the smaller units were ø120mm (80 amp) ø100mm (60 amp, but with longer mounts) and the 120amp unit being ø130mm - all clocking and terminal positions the same.

alt2.jpg

A trail run shows the bracket does foul the larger diameter (as mentioned in above posts)

alt3.jpg

Yellow marks shows how much needed to come off the bottom edge and top of the slot.

alt4.jpg

This is the 120amp fitted

alt5.jpg

Close up of the bracket.

I took a template of the bracket before making the new clearances, Im going to make a new one with the bolt holes to the water pump offset to allow for the difference.

Last edited:
You could buy an OEM bracket instead of making another 16381-17020 is for the 120 amp alternator.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You could buy an OEM bracket instead of making another 16381-17020 is for the 120 amp alternator.

Cheers Jon - will search one out - although the above mod is a 10min thing - enough to get you running without any issues as such.

Damm.... this never came up on the search I did before posting :worried:

The new bracket delivered £11.84 from Simon at StevenEagel

Hi Roger,

Can you elaborate on the "Mapping wires across" part of your post please ? I'm due a belt change and while I'm swinging the alternator out of the way I figured i may as well replace the original one get it reconditioned and have it as a spare.
Was it left pin to left pin and so on irrespective of the wire colour ?

Thanks @Roger, Just ordered mine and a pigtail with the oval plug. Lots to do next week .. I hope the weathers OK.

Back