Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series amateur radio installation

foobar

Country Flag
uk
Hi,

I'm starting to think about putting a radio in the car, I imagine I'm not the first so thought I'd ask for any experiences.

For such a large car there aren't many hidey-holes for a radio :) I use the centre console for important things like sweets, as well as microfibre towels and hand wipes, so I'll need to find elsewhere. The head will be remote with a remote toggle switch for the mic, with the mic mounted somewhere on the roof/visor.

I get the impression I don't want to go messing around with the A pillars because of the curtain airbags, so how does one neatly install wiring up there?

Power I need to think about as well because I'm unfamiliar with the battery setup, so any tips with that and routing through the firewall would be very useful.

Thanks and have a good weekend.
Steve.

Steve.

I have my Kenwood unit mounted in the centre console where the CD stacker used to be, my Pioneer stereo has a built in hard drive so I don't need the stacker. I brought the cable for the handset out to an RJ45 socket on the side of the console and have the head unit mounted on it's stand on the top of the instrument part of the dashboard. I have a speaker mounted on one of those mobile phone damage free brackets on the right side of the centre part of the dash.

If a roof console is not happening, U can throw the main unit into the glove box for that matter.
The only thing I`d suggest would be fitting a speaker on the A-pillar. The rest can be done with the hand held mic.

U will only need to route the antenna out of the cab. If going through the firewall is the smartes way in U`r opinion, so be it

Thanks all, some options there. I'm after something hidden so the glove box would be ideal, but I'd need to check ventilation. Somewhere under the dash in the passenger footwell might work if I can mount it securely.

The only firewall-routing I'll be doing is for fused power into the cab from the battery with a pair of 30A power pole connectors on the other end.

Back