Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 Series Front Diff / CV joint

Andrew Harvey

Country Flag
great_britain
Well it's been a while since I was on her - used to be on as Andy Harvey but forgot my password and for some reason Hotmail seems to be blocking the email to the point I can't even find it to reset my password.

Anyway, I haven't done much to my Cruiser for a while, it's just kept on purring along with only the occasional service stuff being done - no real schedule as I don't do enough miles just I figure the old girl needs a treat.

So I was adjusting my front wheel bearings and re-greasing them whilst checking the brake pads (those greenstuff ones seem to last for ever) and I thought I'd have a poke around - just had it cleaned and waxoyled so it was nice and easy to see things and on feeling the inner CV joint on the drivers side (short shaft side) as it does need a new boot anyway, and there seems a lot of play in where it goes into the Diff - not your normal clunky play up and down like a Diff side bearing is falling apart, more like it is on a ball joint inside the diff. Now I'm wondering, before I rip it apart (the diff is not overly noisy so I'm not expecting anything terminal), has anyone else felt this - the long shaft side is not like it. I'm thinking it could be play on the splines either on the inner CV or on the input side of the diff. If it is the Diff I'm thinking that it's a Diff out and rebuild job so I'll probably source a reasonable used one and rebuild that and then swap it over to minimise the time the truck is off the road.

Now if it is the Diff, how easy is it to remove - I've done the same on my old 2nd Gen Hilux Surf when I had to drop it to get the sump off to do the big ends, so I'm presuming the Diff fits with a few big (ish) bolts - maybe 4 - 6 and apart from removing the undertray and pulling the drive shafts, it shouldn't be that bad of a job - Am I thinking straight here or is it a total faff that I don't want to get into.

I'm not sure which is the strongest, the CV splines or the ones in the Diff so which would be liable to wear first - I'm hoping CV splines.

Apart from that the truck is doing really well for 186K miles - I also need to pull the diff actuator on the rear and sort that out - I think it is just gone sticky on me but it could be the actuator gone south on me.

One last thing, some may remember I had the leaking Timing Control Valve problem with Diesel dripping into the passenger footwell, I finally got around to sorting it out - my front mud map is a bit warped now but kept the diesel off the carpet but it's not leaking any more. It was also a pretty simple job after all that - took me just over an hour after making sure I had a good supply of allen key sockets for my 3/8 in set and a couple of small UJs. The hardest bit was spending a good ten minutes trying to pull the plate on the back of the fuel pump which obscures the two allen keys that hold in the TCV and then realising it had 5 allen headed bolts not 4 as I thought. I could have gained a bit more access by pulling off the oil filter however I had only just changed it and I was being cheap :icon-biggrin:, one thing for anyone who happens to need to do it, make sure you have a nice mirror to help locate things - I nicked one out of my budgie's cage for an hour and it worked a treat.

Well anyway it's good to be back, had far to many other things going on for the last couple of years, but still in the land of Cruisers, still love the 100 series as much as my old 80 but it's more comfortable and an awful lot faster.

Cheers
Andy

Back