Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series prices

Does the Queen actually buy hers, or are they a promotion freebie/vastly discounted, i.e. because the Queen has one, it gives higher status to LR ?

I’m sure fuel prices and IC taxes are effecting prices of 100s. And obviously a 3tonne ladder chassis traditional layout 4x4 that’s build for extreme conditions will have a limited market in the UK. However, when you see several dubious examples asking 10k or more - you’d think a good one at 7k would attract at least some interest… although compared to 80s, even those look like value. I guess as you didn’t get 105s, 80s are the newest SFA cruisers and some people like mechanical injection

I think the market is dwindling - lots of factors for that: Not least that these trucks are getting old now* for use as daily drivers for most people and not efficient.

Youngest 100 is 15 years old
Youngest 80 is 25 years old
Youngest 120 is 13 years old
Youngest 90 is 19 years old

For leisure or recreation, the purchase price + overland mods/refit, you might be better off putting that money into a slightly newer Hilux, say 5-10 years old - there are many advantages IMHO.
This is true, and newer vehicles have some advantages. However, I feel a lot of them are only perceived by people lacking mechanical knowledge and confidence. Like my parents in law who trade their cars in at 20k miles “to keep them reliable” (even though my HDJ105 with 500k km is more reliable than than their new Honda or BMW will ever be). For example, D4Ds are well known here for chronic injector issues due to fuel contaminantion (and the up to $18k bill for replacing just the injectors in a 1VD), sump pickup blockage and cracked pistons (1KDs), dusting (1VD) and undiagnosed compression loss (Toyota always recommend replacing rather than rebuild due to the complexity of 1VDs). Coupled with a lighter build, weaker drive train and lighter duty body - the HDJ100 is far more durable. The only thing the 1HD-FTE is known for is extreme long term durability and massive power potential. Even after 20 years of hard use and abuse no common faults have shown up, they have gained a formidable reputation in the industry as the best engine that will ever be fitted to a 4x4. Nothing from any other manufacturer holds a candle. Landcruisers’ sworn enemies - the patrol owners are swapping in FTEs faster than they can get them. An FTE with 300k miles on it will still outlast the majority of new IC engines in passenger cars on the market today.

Obviously the engine is only part of the car, it doesn’t do the car any good if it’s rotted away and the engine is still good, which is probably the most common mode of failure. Still, it’s the heart - and if preventive measures are taken and it’s kept under a roof HDJ100s can look pretty good on paper. In their class (which is admittedly pretty small in the UK), I doubt anything will use significantly less fuel, and have less issues.

And anything coming out of Land Rover is just a perverse joke, with the naming of the new vehicle - that’s aimed at the same old market as their other road cars - after the original rugged solid axle work horse shows they’ve clearly got a warped sense of reality or poor sense of humour. Anecdotally LRs would account for about 0.5% of rural 4x4 sales here, backed up by their fight with Jeep for last place in the reliability ratings (although to be fair keep normally wins this battle and sits at the bottom). They only feature as the butt of jokes, and are driven exclusively by “city folk”

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Raj if your friends really want the TATA product and want to persuade them more to the Cruiser them tell them that the recovery rate when it has been nicked is very low and the ONLY reason the Queen still has one is that it is parked behind some very big gates and fences and is protected by 24hr security provided by the British Army

Steve, Landcruiser prices scared him away. He thinks LC is like Bentley. Very expensive car.
RR is popular only because it’s seen as best of British cars n British engineering. TATA also wanted to carry on that image and stick to its roots I guess. My guess is thats one reason their designs come from Coventry instead of their plants in India.

Out of curiosity I was looking at whatcar used car reviews for 2008 RR. Towards the end of review, the alternative to RR are BMW X5, XC90 and Lexus RX.
Where is Landcruiser? Is it considered a class above RR or is press not technically sound and don’t understand 4x4 and softroaders.

The Cruiser price stays high because of the world beating dependency now the next bit might be just a wee bit slightly small exaggeration on my part but you could chuck a Cruiser off of the moon and it would bounce back other products may struggle some yeah I know what VHB done in that 5gear video was put two school runners up against a tool designed to get the kids from school and then drive the seven continents then turn around and take the scenic route back home

Hi lads. I'm very late to this thread but I think ye are correct with the shifting of interest from the 80 to the 100 series. Any 80 series around that's good will be alot of money and the cheaper ones are just too expensive to fix unless your going to do it all yourself.They are naturally looking too the 100 series now. Prices in Japan were I was looking have increased a good bit even since I got mine there in April. I'm guessing the Australian market is swallowing up whatever they can get their hands on. Shipping and importing them to either the UK or here in Ireland just isn't viable any longer. If you take that into consideration then whatever units we have here is basically it so then the market will dictate the prices going forward. Well that's my 2 cents anyway. Hope ye are having a good weekend.

Reactions: Raj
Back