Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series seems like brakes are on

Michael Hutchings

Country Flag
australia
Hi guys I went out this morning everything was fine , parked at football for a few hours . Then when I reversed out felt like handbrake was still on . Got home but as I was doing a U turn started to bunny hop and feel like brakes were on again . Any ideas I cant seem to find anything ? I have not had a 4 wd before so not really familiar with any issues . Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Hi Michael, don’t know the 100 series too well, but it sounds like you might have a differential locker (or 2) engaged, causing the bunny-hopping on reversing turns.

I suggest you first check that you’re not in low ratio and that all the lockers (or those you have) are disengaged.

You’ll have a centre diff lock for sure but as said, I’m not too familiar with the 100 some have a rear diff lock and others have a limited-slip diff at the rear, depending on model and it’s market type.

Is it a 105 (solid front axle) or does it have independent front suspension (IFS)?

Someone else will know more than me.

Another possibility is that one of the handbrake shoe linings has become detached from the carrier. Not easy to check without jacking up the back end, as (if anything like the 80) it’s a drum brake within the rear disk brake. You could get someone to drive it and see which wheel is reluctant to turn. You should also be able to ‘feel’ changes in bite point on the handbrake as the shoe, which will have become wedge shaped over time, moves back and forth.

One thing that’s easy to check is that none of your brake callipers have lost bolts. :scared-eek:

The symptoms are as you describe although there is noise and the bunny hopping gets worse as the calliper gradually cuts a groove in the inside of the wheel rim.

Last edited:
First check would be to see if you've caught the Centre Diff Lock button, if so the drag on the tyres will feel like the handbrake is on. There should be a warning light on the dash,
index.1.jpg

If its not this then report back.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back