Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 Series Stalling at Altitude

Nevener

Country Flag
united_states
Hey all. Live in Denver. Recently on trips to the mountains my 100 series is stalling out at high elevation. 11-12k feet in elevation. It's not an overheat it just shuts off. Driving at sea level runs seamlessly. Hoping someone can diagnose for me. Cruiser is in near perfect condition.

Nothing wrong with the truck its just not tuned for the thinner air at high altitude .

It could possibly be the shut off valve on the throttle body, it is vacuum controlled and altitude could cause it to close and cut off engine?

I was hoping a 100 owner with experience of this would reply but until they do -

Fuel can't burn without oxygen and the higher altitude you get the lower the oxygen air contains .

Typically, we increase the fuel flow to add a few horsepower but thats not going to work at high altitude because air rather than fuel is the crucial component .

Pump tuned to run lean , a clean or blocked EGR , high flow air filter , intercooler are all winners .

Turbo and supercharged engines should perform better because they compress air and I'm supposing a 100 series has an intercooler and turbo as standard so i'd guess your truck just needs a full service and the air fuel ratio investigated .

Petrol and diesel are different , you don't tell us which you have ?

Toyota make and supply a altitude compensator for a lot of engines, my 1hz had one

Toyota make and supply a altitude compensator for a lot of engines, my 1hz had one
@David I tried to buy one of these for my 105 before our Southern Africa trip (Lesotho) and the Pan Am trip, but it seems that you can't buy them separately. Either your engine comes with one out of the factory, or it doesn't. I tried to get one from Toyota and hit a brick wall.

I might be wrong of course - in fact I would love to be.

@Nevener Is it actually stalling, or is an engine management system cutting it out? My 105 is the 4.2 diesel non-turbo 1HZ and hates being at altitude, it blows out horrible black smoke and above 3000m I'm normally in 2nd going uphill on tar, but it's never cut out. Wondering if the 100 has a cut out when there isn't enough air pressure?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey all. Live in Denver. Recently on trips to the mountains my 100 series is stalling out at high elevation. 11-12k feet in elevation. It's not an overheat it just shuts off. Driving at sea level runs seamlessly. Hoping someone can diagnose for me. Cruiser is in near perfect condition.
Can you add some more information? What age and engine hundy? under what circumstances does it stall? does it start and idle? does it stall only when decelerating? only when you shift into drive? only when accelerating etc etc

Does it stall if you turn off the A/C? What is your engine speed at idle?

Back