Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 Series whistle/squeal

Liam

Country Flag
australia
G'day guys, quite new to the forum so I hope I've found the right place to put this.

I have a 2002 100 series 4.2td 1HD-FTE, over the past 3 months I've been getting a whistle which I nor a few mechanics can pin point. The whistle started quite subtly only whilst the vehicle is moving, generating load and around half throttle just getting on boost. when driven hard the noise evolves from a whistle to a real squeal anywhere beyond 2600rpm as if a belt or pulley is loose.

I've recently had the intake manifold off for a new gasket as it was leaking oil and figured it could be that which was making the noise, to my disappointment it wasn't. however whilst i was cleaning the soot out I decided to block of the EGR and completely remove the pipe so i wouldn't have that much soot coming through anymore & it may be them gaskets leaking as there was oil around the fitting. After shredding a nut & almost breaking a stud successfully blocked off EGR and still noise is there so defs not them gaskets.

other than aformentioned I've visually checked vacuum lines, pcv line, exhaust, intercooler & tubing, oil lines running to and from turbo, belts & pulleys and airbox/filter.

anything at all that you can think of that may be causing this noise would be helpful as its driving me nuts

cheers

G'day guys, quite new to the forum so I hope I've found the right place to put this.

I have a 2002 100 series 4.2td 1HD-FTE, over the past 3 months I've been getting a whistle which I nor a few mechanics can pin point. The whistle started quite subtly only whilst the vehicle is moving, generating load and around half throttle just getting on boost. when driven hard the noise evolves from a whistle to a real squeal anywhere beyond 2600rpm as if a belt or pulley is loose.

I've recently had the intake manifold off for a new gasket as it was leaking oil and figured it could be that which was making the noise, to my disappointment it wasn't. however whilst i was cleaning the soot out I decided to block of the EGR and completely remove the pipe so i wouldn't have that much soot coming through anymore & it may be them gaskets leaking as there was oil around the fitting. After shredding a nut & almost breaking a stud successfully blocked off EGR and still noise is there so defs not them gaskets.

other than aformentioned I've visually checked vacuum lines, pcv line, exhaust, intercooler & tubing, oil lines running to and from turbo, belts & pulleys and airbox/filter.

anything at all that you can think of that may be causing this noise would be helpful as its driving me nuts

cheers
Check your turbo.

I had the same on my 80. The flanges that held the egrs on had warped and the gaskets were acting like a reed instrument. You could play a tune by pressing the throttle pedal harder or softer. I filed the flanges flat ad it was cured. If the noise is at idle or out of gear with someone operating the throttle whilst stationery you coud spray suspect joints with WD 40 with the pipe on the container. The fluid temporarily fills the crack and the noise stops or alters accordingly if you're on target.

Yes as said check the turbo pipes for splits and looseness.

I sorted a similar noise when I replaced the bearings on the idle pulley. I also did the same on the roller sitting underneight the water heater circ pump. This does not show on my parts catalouge.
Toyo offered me a price for new pulleys.... I sucked my thumb & sourced new bearings. Done deal

Turbo would be my guess.....check everything is good and tight and no pin holes. I had a slightly off-tight hose and that made a bit of a whistle as the boost kicked in.....5 mins fixed that

Back