Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

105 Series TJM Type 15 onto an 80 - Maybe!

Dave Burgess

As I asked the question on the 100 board the other day... I don't know whether the 100 Series pattern TJM Type 15 front bumper and bar will fit on the 80 and whether it's the same as the 105 either.... Anyway consensus was as it's a 105 bumper, it wouldn't fit a 100 but might with mods go on the 80.

Seeing as the parts were a very good price ;) , I feel I can try my luck and try to fit the bumper by cutting and welding where necessary. Probably cost more that an ARB for and 80 in the end :roll:

As Gav asked, here are some pics of the bumper and the front end with the fitting issues:
01052010151.jpg

The bits
01052010152.jpg

Test fitted
01052010154.jpg

The side view showing how much too high it sits
01052010156.jpg

The lack of clearance at the sides...
01052010157.jpg

Too much clearance in the middle
01052010155.jpg

The headlamp clearance showing how little there is to play with...

I think it's a good looking bumper. After a bit of subtle mod'ing, the addition of the arch trim fillers and attending to the finish it might be OK.

There is a Warn XD9000 to go behind it too, but the batteries need some thought for that. And some new front springs!

I think you should get that to fit nicely quite easily Dave - good looking bumper.

Keep us updated with progress - thanks for posting up the pics

Cheers

Looks like the A bar will block quite a lot of the light from your main beam? I think it looks a little bit odd, like it's the wrong size ;)

Jon, you might be right about it being the wrong size :lol:

I will see how much light is lost from the main beams, but as they are frankly rubbish I will not worry too much :roll: There are holes for extra lights on the bumper too and over the years I have amassed quite a collection of aux lights. Another option maybe to cut off the bars (particularly if there is a need to satisfy a typically s*** eurolaw about bars) an just leave the bumper (like the Type 17)

The main beams are noticeably rubbish because of the HID lamps I have in the dipped lamps. A very worthwhile £70 off ebay.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, that explains it nicely ;-)  Thanks Rob :)

Dave - small fonts upset us salsa kings y'know  :lol:

Anyone ever moved one of these turkeys? I sense a thread coming on...

Had a bit of a hack about today, nothing major but enough to prove....

Took 30mm height out of the mounts, and can be seen it's not enough on the bumper (and going lower will impede the approach angle) but the limit on the headlamp loops:

frontLCbumper.jpg

L3quarterBumperlower.jpg

It also sits too far forward of the body, due mainly to the arc of the front. So before I hack it beyond use, I'll offer it about and see if anyone wants it... :?

So, rear bumper tests tomorrow :roll:

Re: 105 Series TJM Type gone! Try this...

After messing around with the TJM for a while, it was clear it was going to be worthless and got the old Ebay (if the Romanian that won the auction ever pays up... :evil: )

So I took a different route. I spent today fitting the front bumper from Offroad Armoury with a Warn XD9000 behind it.... :mrgreen:

28072010207.jpg

I finished the wheels and centres too, but still need to finish the wiring for the winch and wind on the rope... :roll:

28072010208.jpg

28072010209.jpg

and as you can see (photos are so cruel) I need to do some realignment :oops:

28072010210.jpg

The lads at ORA were helpful and their set-up is tidy enough (though in the wilds of Sussex) and they are about to embark on more 80 series stuff. The bumper is clean and beautifully welded, but has a number of minor points that I have emailed them. The powder coat could be thicker (& shinier!), there were fitting issues with the mounting holes and there is a minor misalignment (probably by me :oops: ) But overall I like it.

The shackle eyes are good and strong though if anything the whole bumper reduces the approach angle. The winch fits to the bumper 'feet forward' against the inside face. Mount are secured by the top two M12x1.25mm on the chassis rail and the the two M8x1.5 bumper mounting bolts. From the mounts there are three M10x1.5 bolts through compensation slots onto the bumper.

As seen in the lounge some of you may be visiting the off-road event that they have organised this weekend. Have a good one... I shall be drunk up Norf! :dance:

That bumper looks fine, Dave! Do ORA have more bumpers in stock or did you snap up one of the original batch?

They had two in stock from a previous batch, but there were 10 on the rack, welded up awaiting powder coat.

They do seem a pretty good price for what it is, I have spoken to them about a 100 series bumper

If you weren't so far away Dave I might have made you an offer but the cost of collection would be as much as the bumper from here! I don't need a bumper but it'd be a shame for it to end up as scrap!

Thanks Jon,

I'll give it a second chance offer to the next bidder and see what happens. Top tip :idea: Don't accept bids from Romanians with 0 feedback :roll:

Dave, do you still have it? What sort of money do you want for it?
Jon, what sort of work do you think would be needed to put it on the front of a 100?

Can't see how it could be very hard for anyone with a welder and a grinder to knock up some brackets and in the other thread I think we established from the measurements that the difference between the 105 & 100 chassis was close to the difference between putting the brackets on the outside of the rail vs the inside so there's a good chance things will line up favourably. If it was at risk of being scrapped I would have made an offer just to stick it up the top of the garden till I had time to do something with it.

Re: 105 Series TJM Type gone! Try this...

Dave Burgess said:
I shall be drunk up Norf! :dance:
Norf enough to drop the bumper off with me near Liverpool Dave ;-)

Gav,

If none of the bidders second chance it then maybe as I shall be passing by your house on the way the the ferry towards the end of Aug.

I'll keep you posted. One of the bidders wanted to cut it about to go on a Hilux - that IS hard work.

Back