Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

10A gauge fuse blows in reverse only

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
Hope everyone is safe and well. Looking for some pointers. My 10A Gauge fuse will only blow in reverse and typically not when I move the automatic transmission lever from park to reverse - more when i actually begin reversing. It does not blow in normal drive conditions, only reverse. I tried isolating some circuits - the gauge fuse has so many that hang off it - without luck. I've been reading on MUD and 4 people have suggested squeezing plugs EC1 and EC2 together where they come through the firewall has solved the same issue. I have some location questions. I think i really need to get to the bottom of why this only happens in reverse.
Can anyone give me a description of where these plugs come in? I had some work done behind the dash in the UK and am wondering if something has b=not been reconnected that well.
On the autos is the neutral start switch and the reverse light switch the same thing. If they are on top of the transmission where is the access for them?
Apparently the rear lights also pass through BQ1 - where does this connector live?
The reverse lights seemed ok on test but I know the trailer wiring was done after the rear bar was fitted so will need to check there. Given it is only blowing when I select reverse and move, it seems unlikely to me that it is an unrelated circuit like the powers windows as they would provide the earth backwards or forwards. In fact I have the power window relay out and it still blew on reverse.
I'm going to invest in a circuit tester like a power probe so i can test without having to turn the ignition on.

Check the wiring where it runs near the transmission tunnel, the reaction to torque as the vehicle moves may be causing the wire to rub on the under body?

regards

Dave

Back