Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

12 volt starting conversion on a 1997 24 valve manual 80 series LandCruiser

Dont be like that dave, im looking forward to summer..

even if it only lasts six days...

This is a great write-up and I am finally looking to do this on my 80. Have a 12V starter from Wood Auto ready to go in. The one question I have is that on a different forum (link attached below, hoping to cause no offence), there is mention that the two green and one white wire from the switching relay need to be joined up together - I did not see that being mentioned on this thread. Would that avoid having the need to jump the earth on the timing relay plug in the passenger footwell?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1hdt-24v-to-12v-conversion-step-by-step.909416/

This is a great write-up and I am finally looking to do this on my 80. Have a 12V starter from Wood Auto ready to go in. The one question I have is that on a different forum (link attached below, hoping to cause no offence), there is mention that the two green and one white wire from the switching relay need to be joined up together - I did not see that being mentioned on this thread. Would that avoid having the need to jump the earth on the timing relay plug in the passenger footwell?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1hdt-24v-to-12v-conversion-step-by-step.909416/

You only have to jump the earth if you leave the 24v/12v solenoid switch and wiring in place. If you replace all the wiring as per the ih8mud post then this step is redundant

Thanks. Another quick question - the 3+ fusible links and plug attached to the positive terminal of the right hand side battery (see pic attached) - what do each of those power?

I want (once the 12v starter is in and I have a dual battery system installed) my RHS battery to only serve as an auxiliary battery that will run spot lights, camping lights, fridge and air compressor and any other accessories I add (except for winch that I will leave attached to main cranking battery) and am therefore considering linking these fusible links via a connecting block and cable to the LHS main cranking battery positive terminal. Want to be sure what they feed before I do that. Also appreciate any pros and cons of my idea before I jump into it.

DE79E738-5B44-4880-90BF-89F202A8F225.jpeg

Back