Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120/150

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
Has anyone on here jumped from a 120 to a 150? I fancy moving up from the 120 ( which I like) to a 150 but they seem to be at least twice to three times the price for what benefit?
The jump from a Collie to a 120 is a huge jump forward in evolvement but I wondered if the 150 was proportionately the same.

this caught my eye, at the price, it is a first year of production and worth twice my 120 ( or more).

I did. Swapped my 53 plate for the first 150 (the 3.0L D4D).
It was, I guess, the same as a jump from 90 to 120.

I drove the 120 non-stop from London to Switzerland through some horrendous snow (remember the "wrong type of snow"? I drove that storm). 13 hours, arrived feeling fine.
I drove the 150 21 hours (screwed up route and planning) from London to Italy.

Both, long distance, were great to drive. The 150 was perhaps slightly quieter and more refined but the 120 was hardly a Lada.
I also took the later 150 - 2.8L - to Italy and it was too was great.

One of the biggest improvements I thought was the KDSS. It rolled a lot less in corners (but then my 120 was lifted :blush:)

Obviously things like built in sat nav and other internal comforts were an improvement.

For 18k you're getting a lot of car!

Is that one ulez? I don't think the older 3.0L is because lack of adblue.

Am i right in thinking 2009 on 3 litre 150's (and possibly the very last 120's) managed to just scrape in under the highest VED banding? The Forester is in the highest band and definately not putting me wallet up for another kicking.

That's a decent looking motor, would appear to have been looked after, if you go and look Andy even if you don't buy it let us know what the rust situation is underneath.
I'm still kicking myself for not snapping that green 150 up just at the start of lockdown, if i recall correctly it was 60k odd miles 65 plate and some £26k at a dealer, crystal ball would have been handy.

Hi Jud, I've no time this weekend to even think about running up to Northumberland to look. It would be interesting to see what condition the underneath is in and to see how far forward they had moved. Also I wouldn't mind a test drive in a 2.8 version to compare how they perform but I think one would be out of budget realistically.
I'll see where I go with this, I know a lad in Doncaster with a 3.0 version and someone local I was at school with has a nearly new 2.8 so I might scrounge a ride in both and report back.

Hey Andy If you want a little more refinement why not try a petrol 120?
I know the fuel price is an issue at the moment, which should mean that petrol 120's will be going at a good price, should be able to find a bargain.
In the long run if you compare running a diesel against a petrol there is not that much difference in cost.

Hi Andy, how are you? Well about 18 months ago I did indeed try a low mileage black petrol 120 09 plate I think. TBH I think I was expecting it to be the difference between a V6 Collie and a D4D Collie. I'd already had my 120 LC4 for about 18 months so I thought the 4.0 V6 would be the height of refinement compared with the diesel. On the test drive I was disappointed with the engine noise and the noise in general compared with my diesel which is very quiet, there was quite a lot of induction roar on acceleration and it just didn't scratch my itch.
120's do vary a lot noise wise, when I road tested the one I bought ( the 10th I tried) it was immediately apparent how quiet the engine was compared to all the others and I still am amazed that when cruising at 70 there is no engine noise and very little other noise.
I just thought it was about time my newest car should be newer than 17 years old.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interesting what you say about the 120 petrol Andy, i'd have thought the 4.0 litre V6 would have been a stormer.
The V6 3.4 Collie we had before the 120 the engine was a dream, sounded lovely pulled like hell, quite a few cars had susrpises just how quickly that Collie could accelerate.
Before the current 120 called out to me from an online ad (got there same morning and snapped it up), my plan was to import a grey 120 or possibly Hilux or Surf equivalent, and i would have sought out the 3.4 again with a view to LPGing it.
Notably in Japan you could have the 120 with the 3.4 V6 lump.

However like you i find the 120 with 3 litre a generally nice place to be, last weekend we popped up to the motorcycle museum near the NEC, an unrelated show on there wifey wanted to visit.
Agree completely, cruised gently at a steady 70 there and back, speedo spoit on accurate as GPS sits on the dash, limo standard ride quality and quiet, no engine noise at all @ the 2100rpm or so, stable as a rock on the road, and as reliable as anything else up to an including new, hard to believe its 17 years old.
What the hell do you replace one with.

Well I can only say it as I found it. I had LPG on an 80 which came with it, it used it at a prodigious rate. I've never considered LPGing the Collie, I just don't do enough miles. At present I'm lucky if I do 150 miles a month in the Collie and its only done 88k up to yet.
What amazes me is where 150 prices are compared with 120 prices, a bit like 200 prices, makes me wonder who buys a 9-12 year old Cruiser at not much less than it was new.

What series of landcruiser is this one. I am trying to convert a friend :)

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

Was trying to steer him from below car. I thought that landcruiser in last post is either 120 or 150 so posted here.

What series of landcruiser is this one. I am trying to convert a friend :)

Looks pretty good, strong on the price I think but can offer dealer facilities.

Reactions: Raj
Dealers also won’t reduce prices. Instead they ll give some other things like, valet, warranty etc

Its amazing how a photo flatters, I passed this dealer today so I dropped in to view. Patchy paintwork, very rusty underneath, not a pretty sight. Its not something I'd sink £5k into let alone £10.Theres no wonder its been for sale since December. Unfortunately this is what all the ones I viewed were like when I was searching for a 120 3 years ago. Good ones are out there but take some finding.

Thank you very much Andy. It looks so good in pics. My friend was asking me what’s wrong, this is the most reasonably priced LC he saw. So this is the truth. Thank you

I've been grappling with upgrading my 18 year old 120 series (1kz-te). However I can't seem to comprehend why the 150s cost twice as much and more than the 120 series. I have no real reason for wanting to upgrade except that it would be newer. Truth be told, I thoroughly enjoy having it repaired, which is rare, with genuine parts which I tend to order direct from Japan.

series. I have no real reason for wanting to upgrade
Thank god I am not the only unfaithful one not able to resist temptation of thinking about other one. :cool: I am also looking at a petrol black 200 as I could get direct part exchange without paying anything but if I do this m sure I ve to stay out of the house :)
Financially it makes sense but …I ll branded mad if I do this now

Back