Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 D4D injector recall

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
I found the details for the injector seals recall. You should be getting an email / letter / phone call from them if you are affected but just in case, you can check yourself.

Model Vin Range Manufacture date
KDJ125 JTE AZ29J# 00019035-00050831 June,2004 Through October,2007
KDJ120 JTE BZ29J# 00049705-00160767 June,2004 Through October,2007

Oddly, mine (a 53 plate, Jan 2004) is not on the list which goes against the "it was the early ones which had the problem" consensus. Will see if I can find out what the change in June '04 was.

Nice one... will be checking that out tonight!

Gary Stockton said:
:lol: - wonder if they'll do mine again?? :cool:

Can I borrow your number plates and VIN plates? :shifty:

My vin number is in the effected list :-( now starts the argument.....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well I called my local dealer who has serviced my 120 from new, and as far as they are concerned the recall is a "Customer Comfort" one (whatever that means). The recall for my vehicle is to only check the oil pickup in the sump and not the injector seals... not happy about that at all, but not a lot I can so about it.

I even called Toyota UK, and as far as they are concerned there is no recall on my 120.... :think: go figure

It's booked in to be done in a couple of weeks so will see what they say.

I'll be honest, I have not followed this closely at all, so what's the likely scenario here.... if the pickup is clean I suppose they say it's fine, go away, however if there is dirt/sediment/bits on there what next?

My oil pickup was clean. The injectors were funar'd

So that is my fear.... but I just could not get the service person to understand this in the call yesterday... sigh

There is a difference between the injectors being fubar'd and the pickup being blocked. The check, I'm back at Mr-T today so will double check, is for the cracked injector seals and seats. This leads to blow-by which then eventually, blocked the oil pick up.

The fubar'd injectors where in them self dodgy and not park of this recall.

Sorry if I am being a bit slow here.... so the check is essentially to check for cracked injector seals, and a "quick" way is to check the oil pickup. Not essentially worried about faulty injectors as although this may be is problem, it won't result in a fubar'd engine.... let us know what your man says :think:

When I had mine done they checked the injector seals and replaced them. If there is any sign of failure and blow by then then strip the oil pick up to clean it. If there is no sign of blow buy they wont look at the pickup. This was the infomation from the service manager.

TonyP said:
Sorry if I am being a bit slow here.... so the check is essentially to check for cracked injector seals, and a "quick" way is to check the oil pickup. Not essentially worried about faulty injectors as although this may be is problem, it won't result in a fubar'd engine.... let us know what your man says :think:

According to the flow chart on the document they got sent, it should be to check the injectors first.
If they checking the pickup first... :naughty:

image.png

Will find out from Mr-T this afternoon

Had a chat to Mr-T about this - they are wrong Tony.

If you Vin is in the range, they HAVE to follow the document (the pic above is a sample out of it). They do not order in the parts either, there is a "recall kit" which he showed me, it has all the bits needed in one box.

If there is carbon above the rubber o-ring (because the copper washer has failed) then they have to check the strainer. If there is no carbon above the o-ring then the strainer can be ignored as the o-ring has managed to contain the gas.

Thanks Crispin, called them back, and essentially the women on the service desk read back the recall info for me and it is the one and the same. The only thing I can think of is that yesterday when I spoke to her, she was just winging it to make me feel happy. :roll:

So all booked in for a couple of weeks time :dance:

A guy I work with who has a SWB 120 got the recall letter from Toyota. Turns out he already popped his engine a few years back because of the oil strainer being blocked. He said when the engine went "pink pink pink" and stopped, he called the dealer. They immediately sent out a flat-bed, picked it up and fixed it for him for free (£7k was the invoice). It was 8 months out of warranty at the time.

Wonder why they fixed it and refused on other occasions :think:

Well I got my 120 back from Mr T after doing this service recal. Mrs picked it up but I spoke to the service technitain, and finding out what they did was like extracting teeth.... It went something like this:

Me: So what did you do?
Mr T: Did the oil pickup service recall
Me: Yes I know that but what did you find?
Mr T: Erm.... we checked the injector seals and replaced them.
Me: So were they cracked and indication of leaking gases....
Mr T: Erm, well we just installed the kit that we were given by Toyota. We also changed your oil and oil filter, so that great... isn't it?
Me: Thanks, did you check the oil pickup was it clogged?
Mr T: Same responce as previous answer...
Me: What about the ECU firmware flash/upgrade?
Mr T: Don't know about that, it's not part of the process so we did not check...
Me: Ok... I'll ge the mrs to collect the car

Very frustrating, I just really wanted to know if it was any closer to having a problem. Oh well at least it's been done!

If they changed oil and filter then there was a problem. See flow chart above.

I think further in the document it says about the ECU flash being part of it so they would have done that. It's apparently a flash for reducing the noise level.

I see what you mean, did not go back and look at that flow chart. I guess I just wish I could have spoken to the actual technician who did the work...

Back