Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 LC5 TOW BAR MOUNT ?

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
Iv just had a tow bar fitted to the 120... So I had a peek underneath to see where they mounted it. But it wasn't on each side of the chassis like I was expecting, It seems to be just a heavy duty plate that bolts central behind the rear bumper. Is there a reinforced plate that it bolts to, Because either side of it is just the 1mm thick flimsy box section that I assume the bumper bolts to.. Im hoping the tow bar is bolted to something a bit more substantial than that..Its completely hidden by the bumper and the spare wheel and its Dark now.. any thoughts:thumbup:

Iv just had a tow bar fitted to the 120... So I had a peek underneath to see where they mounted it. But it wasn't on each side of the chassis like I was expecting, It seems to be just a heavy duty plate that bolts central behind the rear bumper. Is there a reinforced plate that it bolts to, Because either side of it is just the 1mm thick flimsy box section that I assume the bumper bolts to.. Im hoping the tow bar is bolted to something a bit more substantial than that..Its completely hidden by the bumper and the spare wheel and its Dark now.. any thoughts:thumbup:
Does this mean you are keeping the 120 .

Iv just splashed out on 4 new tyres as well.. and a new remote winch for my trailer.. Rhino one at that.. Any way Tony, About that Towbar.????
Mine don't have a tow bar I went to great pains to find a 120 without one , as I knew it would have had a harder life on the engine , auto box , suspension and diffs . I cant see because of the spare wheel what the area where your towbar is on , and it gets darker here 2 hours earlier here than the UK . hope someone with a LC3 will tell you on here as soon as . glad you are keeping the 120 , once it is sorted it will grow on you am sure .

Mine don't have a tow bar I went to great pains to find a 120 without one , as I knew it would have had a harder life on the engine , auto box , suspension and diffs . I cant see because of the spare wheel what the area where your towbar is on , and it gets darker here 2 hours earlier here than the UK . hope someone with a LC3 will tell you on here as soon as . glad you are keeping the 120 , once it is sorted it will grow on you am sure .
To be honest I went to part Ex it with a 100 series, and the bloke offered me 3 grand for it... so I told him to shove his hundred up his arse.. and went on a spending spree to make myself feel better.. 4 new tyres /TowBar new Rhino winch, and an 80 series Land Cruiser.. I Feel better now.:thumbup:

That sounds right for a 120. They have a 4 bolt plate behind the bumper that takes the cranked drop plate you are talking about. Being more plasticky than a 90, they don't have the box section towbar mount to that the older trucks got.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That sounds right for a 120. They have a 4 bolt plate behind the bumper that takes the cranked drop plate you are talking about. Being more plasticky than a 90, they don't have the box section towbar mount to that the older trucks got.
Thanks Bob...They do sell the conventional type that bolt to the chassis...That's what I thought I was getting and I was always under the impression that you needed the very expensive plug and play loom (rough trax £90) but you don't. Trident Trailers just did it the old fashion way ...

Thanks Bob...They do sell the conventional type that bolt to the chassis...That's what I thought I was getting and I was always under the impression that you needed the very expensive plug and play loom (rough trax £90) but you don't. Trident Trailers just did it the old fashion way ...

Did you find any bolt-to chassis towbars? I was looking for one last week, having snapped by first one. That said, it was only the tow bar stuff that snapped the crossmember looks remarkably clean compared to the rest of my rusty chassis.

Of the bolt to the cross member type, Witter also provide additional strengthening to bolt the cross member to the chassis legs. That's what I had previously. Have no got a PCT unit (still in the box) which looks much more robust as a towing unit, but doesn't have the cross member bracing pieces, but I will leave those in place from the old Witter bar.

Last edited:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Towbar-for-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-J120-02-to-09-SWB-LWB-U-Slung-Spare-LC3-LC4-LC5/131041914921?fits=Model:Land+Cruiser|Cars+Year:2004&hash=item1e82b4f029:g:ON4AAOSwBLlU7FLX:rk:1:pf:0...... I think Rough Trax do them aswell .I had a few in my watch list but deleted them...The one I just had fitted was a Thule.. Edit..Sorry it wasn't a Thule, that was just the plastic thingy they stuck on the ball...... Witter I think

That link is for a regular, bolt to the crossmember unit. Don’t be fooled by the generic towbar pictures. You need to look at the install instructions. I was almost tricked a few times when I was looking.

That link is for a regular, bolt to the crossmember unit. Don’t be fooled by the generic towbar pictures. You need to look at the install instructions. I was almost tricked a few times when I was looking.
Tricksy Indeed..... rough Trax do the loom (£90) but when I asked Trident Trailers about this..they said 'No' you don't need all that Bollox they just put a standard 7 pin loom, with a bleeper. simple . I was a bit annoyed because most folk I spoke to (Inc Toyota ) said it would not work, and this wouldn't talk to that, And the dash board wouldn't tell you there was a bulb out... what a f@~king con.

Tricksy Indeed..... rough Trax do the loom (£90) but when I asked Trident Trailers about this..they said 'No' you don't need all that Bollox they just put a standard 7 pin loom, with a bleeper. simple . I was a bit annoyed because most folk I spoke to (Inc Toyota ) said it would not work, and this wouldn't talk to that, And the dash board wouldn't tell you there was a bulb out... what a f@~king con.

Yeah, when I did mine I just scotch-locked into the back light wires, having read it was Canbus and wouldn't work. Been like it for 7 years now and nothing has caught fire.

Yeah, when I did mine I just scotch-locked into the back light wires, having read it was Canbus and wouldn't work. Been like it for 7 years now and nothing has caught fire.
Even with the expensive loom you have to run a wire under the carpets to the dash, Then drill a hole in the dash so you can have a illuminated indicator light coz my LC5 doesn't have this already incorporated in the dash... A bleepers fine thanks..

I
have been doing a small research about lc120 towbars, but sadly not so many options..

1. Original towbar with visual bumper cuts, price about 600 eur, looks like a plow, toyota landcruiser 120 towbar - Google Suche - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
  2. Hak removable towbar, small bumper cuts, some chassis driling, about 300 eur, Auto-Hak Spółka Jawna - Produkcja i sprzedaż haków holowniczych do samochodów osobowych i ciężarowych, sprzedaż wysyłkowa na terenie całego kraju, producent zaczepów kulowych oraz kul do haków - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
  3. Hayman Reese style, 50x50 mm hitch,suitable for some offroad bike carriers and nice looking too. Not sold in Eu. HAYMAN REESE Tow Bar + Wiring Kit TOYOTA PRADO 120 SERIES (03-09) 2500kg 02912RW 9321963134429 | eBay - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
Does anyone knows some more options, advice?

I've had the two cheap ones here Neither need bumper cuts. Don't look at the photos, look at the fitting instructions for the design. Had the Witter one first. Plate cracked after about 7 years, but I suspect a couple of bolts came loose and I didn't check. Had the PCT since, but left the cross-member strengthening brackets on from the Witter. Bother well under 200 eur.

Brink as fitted by Toyota, top end prices though
Have a good idea in mind what you want of it. Removeable/fixed tow ball type are not so versatile as a flanged bolt on tow ball type. With these you can bolt on other types of gear, bike racks, bumper protectors, including drop plates if you want it lower than normal, removable/fixed are very limited.
Mine is the Brink flanged type tow bar, does have bumper cut outs, hardly noticeable, very strong fixed to back of rear crossmember with extra angled bracing to side rails.

Last edited:
Went to Toyota,they dont sell oem towbar anymore. But still I am more one fix side,but there is one major problem:
I am planing to buy a bike carrier from Isi, more offroad, but they have this 50x50mm hitch style, which I am still looking where to buy it with eu papers.
It is possible to attach 50x50 adapter to fix towbar, but... then "handle" gets longer, so less max vertical weight for same torque on crossmember.
That is why I am still looking for 50x50 style towbar in Eu, so if anyone knows where to get it, please let me know.

If you're talking about the Brink one, it's not a Toyota excusive, in fact it could be cheaper elewhere.
Sorry cant answer your second question except to say maybe the type you want doesnt have type approval which is why you can't find one with eu papers ?
There are people that have them fitted though.

Got one! :)

Attachments

• 20220811_170415.jpg
    20220811_170415.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 23
Success !
Same as mine, but I see they went for the easy option with yours and cut a section of bumper away instead of slotting it. Still does the job though.
Did you get it from a towbar fitting place in the end or wait for Toyota ?

Back