Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 Loss of Power and Fuel Leak

TonyP

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
About a week ago I got into the 120 after not having driven it for a while (Mrs daily drive) and I says to the Mrs, hmmm there's a bit of a diesel smell, can you smell that.... "Yeah now that you mention it..." :doh:

So I have a look around the usual suspects but can't see where it's coming from. Anyway last Thursday on the way to work, as I stopped at a T-junction, it cuts out on me and the dash lights up like a xmas tree... Bugger, I think now what.... Anyway I manage to limp home, get on my motorbike and go to work... blessing in disguise, what a blinding day to be on the bike.

When I get home, I take a another look at the engine, and spot where the fuel leak is coming from...

20140313_201829.jpg

Yup that's the fuel inlet pipe from the common rail to No 1 pot. So I email our friendly parts guy Simon for a price for the nozzle seal, and also the pipe.
Capture.JPG

I then think, hmmm I don't have the tool to undo that nut or indeed tighten up the new one, so the next day I call my local dealer and book it in for them to take a look.

Long story short, they bend me over and say that will be £700 odd for 2hrs labour and the parts. :shock: No I did not enjoy that at all!

Another call to Simon and he says as the dealer I took it to is part of the same group he will ship parts directly there and will also have a word with the service manager.

Long story short, it's been repaired and I got the usual discounted parts but also a better price on labour.

Was it a job I could have done, probably, but I did not have the right tool to torque the bolts up correctly, and I also needed it done ASAP as we were without a car...

Back