Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 Series Safari Snorkel fitment

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Right - so it's done. What a battle!! If you think you can do this without removing the front wheel, you're some kind of special midget contortionist who's also triple-jointed :D

The two jubilee clips that go on the inside of the unit, on the hose between the air filter housing and the snorkel don't fit - too damn small, so it's off to Halfwits tomorrow to get some bigger ones.

Also - there are 3 mounting pints for the lower part of the airfilter. When I took out the filter and had a look inside, one bolt is missing :shock: . I wonder what the heck happened to that, and why the filter had been taken out??? So will need to get a new bolt from Mr T on Monday, or else it's not water tight, and need new mudguard clips :wink:

The rest of it fits together fine. It's a pain getting the clips out that hold the plastic mud guard liner in place, but you MUST get that off if you don't want to struggle (I struggled...). The instructions say 2 hours - forget it - took me most of the day (a lot of it spent watching paint dry ... :lol: :lol: ) Used a spray can of Hammerite Silver smooth .... next time I'll use a brush :twisted:

So - before we started:

009.jpg

The snorkel all packed up:

012.jpg

Wheel off and instructions where I can see 'em:
014.jpg

Air filter out:
015.jpg

Found a spot where my tyres are rubbing ...
016.jpg

After much faffing, template on:
017.jpg

And the inner air tube out (what a schlep):
018.jpg

Holes drilled (ouch)
020.jpg

021.jpg

Upper support holes drilled:
022.jpg

Loctite sealant added to all seals (I'm paranoid):
024.jpg

All in place:
025.jpg

Wheel back on and torqued up:
027.jpg

Ready to rock 'n roll (almost - still got to seal and tighten the inner seals):
028.jpg

I'm knackered ....

I added mine shortly after...

Done! Managed to get mine fitted yesterday, not had any time since to actually post about it. Very happy with it, hides well against the black paint.

Would I do another one? Now that I know how, yes. I was learning new languages on Saturday just so that I could learn new swear words...

Gary, I have no idea how you managed to only break on of the beep beep clips. I had the 12 new ones but decided to try get them out anyway. I ruined all but two.

So, after marking off the template and drilling the pilots holes, I turned the shipping box upside down. There was a sticker on it that said "For engine 1kz-te" I knew (was certain) mine was a 1kd-ftv.
I went cold. Took another swig of beer. Looked again. Went cold again. Called D44. Chris was not in. Neither was anyone else with a technical mind. Google. Inconclusive. Text Gary - no reply.
Sod it, measured everything again and again and went for it. Damage was already done.
IMAG0115.jpg

Here is the fun part: Applied more tape to the area for the big hole. Inserted drill with hole saw, was about to pull the trigger when Denise asked me if I wanted coffee. After looking back at the place I have marked off, I went cold again... Can you see it?
IMAG0116.jpg

I was about to drill a 95mm hole in the wrong place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After lots of swearing, here is the final result:
IMAG0117.jpg

I am very happy with it but there are a few bits left to do.

The sticky-out plastic part of the fender needs to be clipped back properly. I broke the little clips when putting it back together. You cannot see it unless you are looking right at it.

Does it leak:
After applying unhealthy doses of silicone everywhere, and tightening everything up, I tried the stall test. In hide sight, I should have waited for it to set a bit.
It does not stall BUT, the snorkel starts to collapse (both downpipe and the part against the body), the air box starts collapsing as well as the exit pipe from the air cleaner. I figured something is going to break before this thing stalls so left it.
Some more tests today with a liberal wetting from a hose while running reveals no water in the airbox. Not a drop.
Block it slightly, enough to start collapsing things. Alas, there is a hiss. Not sure if it is from the where the two parts of the air filter mate or my entry pipe. I fear the latter.
A less than liberal dosing of water and there is a small trickle in the air box. Maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon if that.

As was mentioned early, this is under heavy vacuum and would not normally suck water in. The leak might be as a result of the distorted pipes? Still, if submersed it could start trickling in... When I fix the clips, I will reseal it all.

My wife calls it an elephant trunk and wants to throw peanuts down it...

Very nice indeed. I would crap myself having to drill holes into my LC's bodywork... ouch.

The only thing I don't like is that on the one Gary did after fitting the snorkel you can still see the mounting holes in the upper support section...

Did you guys treat the holed areas with some sort of paint before putting the snorkels on?

There is no way to hide the upper mounts. Mine just blend in as the screws are black as is the bracket.

Gary used some Hammerite, I used red-oxide primer. I also wrapped the studs in insulation tape as they were pretty good at rubbing the red-oxide off while tightening.

cyland101 - any more rain and Bradmore lane will be impassable to others this weekend. The river is a bursting... Here's hoping. :twisted:

Crispin said:
cyland101 - any more rain and Bradmore lane will be impassable to others this weekend. The river is a bursting... Here's hoping. :twisted:
Oooooo might be able to have a go on Sunday.... unfortunately working on Sat... Are you going to give Foxes Lane a go :shock:

cyland101 said:
The only thing I don't like is that on the one Gary did after fitting the snorkel you can still see the mounting holes in the upper support section...

Did you guys treat the holed areas with some sort of paint before putting the snorkels on?

Yep - Hammerite. And the mount and bolts are black ... so they will stand out a bit ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Out of interest, what did you cut the large hole with, a jig saw or some other tool?

I have a Safari snorkel ready to fit to my 80.... the rear studs/bolts on the wing nearest to the door look like they are going to be a bugger to reach from the front :o

Bought a 95mm hole saw for it.
The rear top stud on the 120 is also a bugger to get to. Very little space to work with.

Bat21 said:
the rear studs/bolts on the wing nearest to the door look like they are going to be a bugger to reach from the front :o

They are but it can be done, just about. There's a hole in the inner wing you can stick your arm up but you have to position your body just right to be able to get your arm in far enough and then don't drop the nut or washer :!:

Back