Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 Series Transmission Speed Sensor ...

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Help folks, please!

I'm trying to fit the Trip Meter for the Raid Asterix, and after undoing all the dash have discovered (thanks, Jon!) that I need to actually connect to the pulse wire on the Transmission Speed Sensor.

The 120 has speed sensors on the ABS as well as two units on the Transmission. I want to splice into the transmission unit. There are two wires on the first plug there - a red and a blue. One assumes the red is power and the blue is the pulse, but I can find no precise info on this, and the FSM wiring diagram may as well be written in Dalek machine code for all the good it does me :D

Can any one of you smart folk out there let me know exactly which wire I should be splicing into? Remember - my level of electrickery knowledge begins and ends with the bit about when the magic smoke comes out the device, it's a real bugger to get it back in again :D

Cheers

Gary, give me a call. I have fitted GPS into a 120 and had to connect to that for the no signal - moving map bit.

Might be able to help. Getting the instrument binacle out wasn't hard though. What have you been doing?

Chris

Doing??? Working - work-work, not play work (i.e. on the LC ... :( )

Aha - after a quick chat with Chris who pointed me int eh right direction, I may have the best solution yet - pick up off the speed pulse that goes into the back of the OEM GPS off the same original circuit ...

So:

tundra.jpg

and

satnavrear1.jpg

satnavconnector1.jpg

so I'll be investigating this solution ....

Cheers

Gary

I had the dash apart in my 120 when fitting the phone kit and the nav system doesn't look like that at the rear, i.e. no fan cooling. However, it does make complete sense that the nav/ GPS gubbins has a speed pulse feed in there for the nav system to operate. I'll pull up my tech-doc info and see if I can find somethere, before you see the majic smoke. :lol:

I was sure that it was a red and blue stripe.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, I think Chris is right. I have been trawling through the tech-doc diagrams and red with blue seems to be right. EXCEPT, if I read the diagram correctly, it runs totally red/blue on a GR-FE engine LC and substantially grey on a KD-FTV engine LC. So, for example, at the speedo cluster it will start life as a red/blue, then changes to grey at a connector, as it gets a feed from the speed sensor. But for convenience you might like to read on....

Now, the only common connection that I can see that links the speedo/ speed sensor/ nav ECU and nav display (other than the reverse and neutral start switches?) is a wire coloured V-R, voilet red, that conveniently connects to a terminal on the display and the nav ecu, at a point labelled SPD. 1 wire connects to each of the nav ecu and the multi-function display from a junction. My guess is that this wire is your baby.

Gary, I've email you this diagram with a few other that might help

OK - so all those piccies aboove are rubbish. Found the sensor cable today in the back of the drivers side junction block (where the fuses are). It's at the back, so pretty much that whole area of dash etc. has to come out - and on the lowest 16 pin plug, 3rd from left on the top is a violet cable with white spots on it :D

Spliced into that, pulled the power and negative cables in from the front right battery so we have a good earth and permanent power (the trip meter is quite smart and switches off after 15 minutes and restarts as soon as the first pulse hits it), and it works! Now to calibrate it somewhere before we leave in 2 weeks :lol: :lol:

Will post the one or two pics I took a bit later.

Well done Gary, bet that's a relief. Might do mine next weekend :roll:

OK so where is the speed sensor wire for an 80 then folks. Need to tie my GPS in there. Got wiring schematics on the FSM download, but you can't see a thing. It's all in pixie print.

Somewhere behind dash would be good.

Chris

The sensor is on the rear output of the transfer box, don't know where you can get at it in the cab.

They're so old they don't have one - you still have to chuck a log out the window and count the minutes on the old chronograph - doesn't it come with a sextant??
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, Chris, no idea .... but does it have a pulse or is the speedo cable-driven? I suspect cable-driven off the gearbox?

So on the 120. took the 'combination meter' out - what a silly name ....

TripMeter010.jpg

TripMeter011.jpg

Bit of a painful job - need three pairs of really tiny hands ...

hmmm - what's this then?

TripMeter014.jpg

Opened that up, and ...

TripMeter013.jpg

not much there really that's any use ...

TripMeter012.jpg

Of course, now that you've taken out the 'combination meter' you need to reset the internal inclinometer :shock: Found that out after scouring the net a bit - turns out to be simple - hold down the trip reset button while turning the ignition on, then release and press three times until you get a long buzz from the little speaker on the rear of the unit ...

So back to the drawing board. The Toyota doc posted above somewhere say to go in to the JB on the driver side, where the fuses ar:

TripMeter008.jpg

TripMeter005.jpg

The violet wire with the silver dots is the wire you want ...

TripMeter004.jpg

Spliced in the green pulse-sensor feed to the TripMeter

TripMeter003.jpg

TripMeter002.jpg

TripMeter001.jpg

TripMeter006.jpg

TripMeter007.jpg

All working, including the driver's repeater display ...

TripMeter009.jpg

what's the inclinometer used for?

first pic, bottom left of spedo cluster (for lack of a better name!), what's that sliver thing pointing down to o'clock?

At this point, I don't think you'll like me....
I swear that wire is behind the glovebox (aka: cubby hole). The reverse wire and speed sensor cable are there. I am sure there is a post on TLOCUK about it when I installed the reverse camera.

Told you before. It's the blue and red wire coming off the multi plug that goes into the back of the combination meter. :roll:

Sheesh, Talk about making it difficult.

That's just for being cheeky about 80s!! OK, maybe they don't have a speed pulse wire. Never considered that, Doesn't really matter. I won't be going through the Dartford crossing and if I did, it's not like there are many places to turn off :lol:

Chris

Oh well - possibly is, but it seems to work where it is. I went out through the firewall there too to get to the battery ...

If I need a secondary pick-up I'll go look there ....

The 'silver thing' is actually black, but never mind - it's the mike for the Toyota Car Phone kit that was in the truck when I got it that I'm slowly taking out - chaotic job though as there are bits all over the place ....

And the inclinometer is hooked into the VSC somehow ....

Chris said:
OK, maybe they don't have a speed pulse wire.
The earliest ones were cable, probably the ones with the A442F that isn't, all the rest are AFAIK a pulse sensor that plugs into the same hole / gear the cable used to come out of. Very easy to get at and if you google for the marks 4wd speedo corrector the install instructions for that tell you which wire to splice into.

Back