Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

150 series battery.

Piquet

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi folks, I have had my 150 for 16 weeks now and I think the battery is dying ( It would not start on Saturday until I charged it for 3/4 hour). It is a 2014 with 18,000 miles behind it. My previous LC4 had TWO batteries the 150 only has ONE. My question is `what is the BEST battery to replace it with`?
Many thanks.
Regards, Pete.

Are you using it for just the car functions (i.e. not leisure gear - fridge etc)? If so +1 for Varta. I've had one for a while now and can't complain. Seems a pretty good mid level battery.

Toyota OEM batteries have been pretty good in my experience - my 90 is 21 years old and has always had OEM batteries - on the 4th one I think now...you could do worse than speaking to Simon Holton, our very own friendly Toyota parts dealer. I've found Toyota battery prices (with the club discount) to be very competitive.

Contact details:
[email protected]
Direct tel: 01604 788 308

In my experience with Toyota they offer 2 alternatives:-

1. A cheapish replacement.
2. The original extremely expensive battery.

All of the 3 new batteries I've bought have been from Toyota (last 2 from Simon) and they are Toyota branded OEM replacements - in my case for the petrol 90 (VZJ95) there is only one battery listed in the UK Toyota parts catalogue.

I've not come across any "cheap" options from Toyota but their offering is very competitive against Bosch/Varta etc. .....maybe different for the diesel models with twin batteries.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Be careful about where you get your battery from if it's not going to be an OE one as I know for a fact that some websites will give you the wrong battery.
I have a thread about the AA selling me the wrong battery because the info provided to them was and probably still is incorrect.

I don't know what size the 150 batteries are but genuine 80 batteries are 520 pounds each still available. They also do a replacement optifit for about the same price as alternatives from the battery store. I mean that the optfit is the "cheap" replacement.

I don't know what size the 150 batteries are but genuine 80 batteries are 520 pounds each still available. They also do a replacement optifit for about the same price as alternatives from the battery store. I mean that the optfit is the "cheap" replacement.

Bloody Hell !! Are they made out of solid gold? :astonished:

FWIW - a Toyota battery (65Ah) for the petrol 90 is around £100 and with club discount less than £80

OE batteries for the 120 (pair) are 145... 650cca each. Yuasa made, Toyota branded.

Take a look at Varta G7/G8 batteries. Very good and they "should" fit.

Hi folks, I have had my 150 for 16 weeks now and I think the battery is dying ( It would not start on Saturday until I charged it for 3/4 hour). It is a 2014 with 18,000 miles behind it. My previous LC4 had TWO batteries the 150 only has ONE. My question is `what is the BEST battery to replace it with`?
Many thanks.
Regards, Pete.
Pete, check your charging voltage. It seems a little odd that your original battery is dying after 4 years. Japanese OEM batteries usually last a long time. I only replaced our Space Star one last year and that was the original from 2005. Of course, like everything they may be cutting down on quality in recent years.

Bosch now own Varta and the batteries seem to be identical at leat in outward appearance. Battery megastore seems to have had some good reviews on here.

Sorry for the (slight) tangent but how best to check the charging voltage and what should it be?

I have a cheap voltmeter that plugs into the cigar lighter socket and that shows around 12.1 to 12.3v when I turn on the ignition, and between around 13.7-14.0v with the engine started. I'm sure it used to show around 14.2-14.4v previously....though I haven't been out for a long run in some time.

Add: went out for a short run out today and was showing 14.2v pretty much all the time.

Last edited:
Back