Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1976 fj45

Iwan

Country Flag
wales
Sooo I've got into the 40 section quite a while back! Lol!
P1020086.JPG

Much the same way as I got into a 60 many years ago! Once you get the bug then it will never leave!
P1020084.JPG

Yesterday afternoon I decided to take a better look at it..
As you can tell.... I've gone to the bottom of the pile! This was a barn find that Karl found and I'm real glad to have bought it.

P1020090.JPG

It's very rusty.. but it's the only 45 that I've come across which is the good point and considering how rare they are.... it's a good starting point!!
P1020099.JPG

So this morning I got into action and took the time to disassemble constructively in action as not to break anything!
P1020107.JPG

Managed to lift the cab off and it didn't fold in half!! @Shayne I was saying last night that the 45 was one of the bigger cruisers... they're longer than they look! :thumbup: I'm diggin the wella wheels theyr'e well in with the age of the truck! :thumbup:
P1020111.JPG

It's been an interesting day seeing how these old cruisers were built back then... have seen some things that the younger cruisers have in a sense but are more revised and better lets say. But to have the opportunity to attempt to rebuild this "oldie" is lets say a challenge! Where there's a challenge there's a great opportunity!

The saving grace is that I have another cab in the same colour which is in cut pieces that will make it possible to make a good cab out of 2 essentially... looking forward to the lock down to end so I can collect and make a start on the cab!

Enginewise I want it to have a 1hdt and the early auto non electric box...

The road is long but I want to make this happen!!! :thumbup:

Attachments

• P1020100.JPG
    P1020100.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 41
A great find and welcome to the world of 40's. I'm the opposite to you, I'd like to get into the world of 60's......maybe one day

If that is an Aussie 45, those wheels are probably Sunnies (Sunraysia). A common swap and still available.

Good luck with the resto. Have a look at Fujitruck on Instagram for some inspiration. He has the only 2 45's actually imported by Toyota to the UK

Thanks mate! I believe it's a UK truck, have found the chassis number stamped on the frame behind the bumper.

But I haven't seen a vin plate on the cab anywhere. Do these have the vin plate?

Now that's interesting!
fj45-106015 is the frame no... I've previously seen the Aussie compliance plate on the internet which I believe were riveted on. The position of it is above the heater fan on the passenger side.

On my cab there's no sign of the plate above the heater or any remains of the rivet holes etc.

Interesting to find out more now!

Had a quick Google and it seems compliance plates didn't come in til 1977. On my 84 it is under the side of the driver's seat next to the door.

The vin plate will have all the information about what model it is. Something like :

FJ45R-KCQ????

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Iwan! That looks like one big job you have on the go good look with it keep well can not wait to see it :D :thumbup:

Interesting Iwan, I saw PUW 580R waiting for restoration in a back garden near Stoke some years ago - same colour too.
Years ago, when I first got my 40 there was an old guy in the parts dept of Toyo in Stoke and he told me that the year on my 40 was wrong, that it was earlier. It took me 14 years to establish that he was right but he also told me that there were 2 40s officially imported and 1500 45s for the agricultural industry imported. I have never followed that up but everything else he told me, in numerous long conversations over time, proved to be right.
There should be the vin number on the front right hand chassis leg, put that into www.toyodiy.com and it may help.
Also when I first insured mine the NFU insured it because they knew what a 40 series was as "we insure 45s for the farmers".
Great project and I'm sure you will do a grand job of it. I look forward to following your progress.

Regards,

Rodger
DSCF3284.JPG

Hi Iwan! That looks like one big job you have on the go good look with it keep well can not wait to see it :D :thumbup:

Yo Tony.... hope you're well mate, stay safe untill we're through these strange times and hope to see you soon after.. :thumbup:

Interesting Iwan, I saw PUW 580R waiting for restoration in a back garden near Stoke some years ago - same colour too.
Years ago, when I first got my 40 there was an old guy in the parts dept of Toyo in Stoke and he told me that the year on my 40 was wrong, that it was earlier. It took me 14 years to establish that he was right but he also told me that there were 2 40s officially imported and 1500 45s for the agricultural industry imported. I have never followed that up but everything else he told me, in numerous long conversations over time, proved to be right.
There should be the vin number on the front right hand chassis leg, put that into www.toyodiy.com and it may help.
Also when I first insured mine the NFU insured it because they knew what a 40 series was as "we insure 45s for the farmers".
Great project and I'm sure you will do a grand job of it. I look forward to following your progress.

Regards,

RodgerView attachment 165022

Great picture Roger and just 2 digits away from my PUW 582R here! Same batch, same registration office.. Same dealership! Small world in essence!
Your words suggest that these motors were originally imported on a more commercial basis than recreational? It's all quite new to me but back when these were new I'm guessing the home grown Land Rover ruled the roost on the agricultural side.

An interesting line of research to be done to get to the bottom of this! Thanks! :thumbup:

I've had a bit of a blast on this this early evening..
P1020113.JPG

All the bolts etc loosened well easy except the U bolts..

P1020115.JPG

Got it moved out of the way and it's a good place as it's shaded from the afternoon sun.
P1020116.JPG

The outer chassis face is really good.. but the inner open part is not so good. I believe on looking at this, is that it can be saved. (from research this is where the chassis snaps on these!)
P1020116.JPG

Doubled up on the pic but am impressed with the super heavy rear leaf springs.... proper heavy grand daddy cruiser!!!
P1020118.JPG

"Fetch the ball wolfy!" :icon-biggrin:

So am aiming to start from the blue tarp to the back. Rust is a major problem on the inner open chassis. So the plan is to derivet the inner chassis in places and I have a lj71 auto damaged chassis that I intend to cut sections out of it and then box the chassis out from there... easy to say but indeed looks time consuming!!

I'm going to find out! Lol!:thumbup:

Must add that on picture upload the new forum format is very quick on the upload.. good work!!:thumbup: And thank you!

Well, looks like you're lock down time is sorted iwan..

Re the 1500 for farmers I'll see what, if anything, I can find but the guy in Toyo Stoke will have retired years ago. As far as I understood they were specifically for farmers and not general consumption and it was at the time of quotas so maybe 'industry specific' would have got round them.

If and when you have a moment could you photograph the towbar mounts for me as I have to have one made and it has to be certified by an approved engineer and added to my truck's fisha technica (Vehicle ID). Currently I've quoted E600 but if I give them technical drawings I can get the price down.

Regards,

Rodger

I've had a bit of a go on this over the last couple of days! It hasn't been a lot of hours though!
P1020119.JPG

I started yesterday to make templates of the inner chassis and following on from one of the last post's to reuse sections of the lj chassis.

P1020122.JPG

With the template the lj chassis follows the same line where it curves up to go over the rear axle with the bump stops inline. Quite interesting how the 40 and 70 share the same aspect in common.!
But unfortunately it's a bit unrealistic to be salvaging cut outs from another chassis, feels like a night mare with out a plasma cutter!

P1020126.JPG

This morning I called the guy at the nearest steel yard and He's operating on a one person at a time in the yard basis. Discussed what I'm aiming to do and if I make real good templates then He'd cut to template 4mm steel... and strips etc. Looking good! So am going to make templates from the bell housing to the rear panel.

P1020127.JPG

So here's the format of the 40 riveted chassis. It's essentially a C outer channel and a smaller inner C channel. So as the chassis rusts on the junctions between the top and lower joins. It makes the inner vertical face curve out because of the large over lap! So if you go to look at buying a 40 series check the inner face of the chassis... to see that it's flat, if it is then there's not so much rust between the rivet lines! An observation!:thumbup:

Re the 1500 for farmers I'll see what, if anything, I can find but the guy in Toyo Stoke will have retired years ago. As far as I understood they were specifically for farmers and not general consumption and it was at the time of quotas so maybe 'industry specific' would have got round them.

If and when you have a moment could you photograph the towbar mounts for me as I have to have one made and it has to be certified by an approved engineer and added to my truck's fisha technica (Vehicle ID). Currently I've quoted E600 but if I give them technical drawings I can get the price down.

Regards,

Rodger
Can you remember his name? They are my local dealership, and I nip up there from time to time.

I've had a bit of a go on this over the last couple of days! It hasn't been a lot of hours though!
View attachment 165065

I started yesterday to make templates of the inner chassis and following on from one of the last post's to reuse sections of the lj chassis.

View attachment 165066

With the template the lj chassis follows the same line where it curves up to go over the rear axle with the bump stops inline. Quite interesting how the 40 and 70 share the same aspect in common.!
But unfortunately it's a bit unrealistic to be salvaging cut outs from another chassis, feels like a night mare with out a plasma cutter!

View attachment 165067

This morning I called the guy at the nearest steel yard and He's operating on a one person at a time in the yard basis. Discussed what I'm aiming to do and if I make real good templates then He'd cut to template 4mm steel... and strips etc. Looking good! So am going to make templates from the bell housing to the rear panel.

View attachment 165069

So here's the format of the 40 riveted chassis. It's essentially a C outer channel and a smaller inner C channel. So as the chassis rusts on the junctions between the top and lower joins. It makes the inner vertical face curve out because of the large over lap! So if you go to look at buying a 40 series check the inner face of the chassis... to see that it's flat, if it is then there's not so much rust between the rivet lines! An observation!:thumbup:
The unimog chassis is open C section. On the whole its given me a headache, but will make it easier when it comes to blasting and painting.

Andrew something and I cannot remember his surname. Good bloke but he must have had 40 years on the others in the spares department.

Regards,

Rodger

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Roger sorry for the delay! I've done an assessment on the tow bar, it looks factory fitted.
P1020123.JPG

It has a 15mm to 16mm thick plate and it measures 12 1/2" high and 6" wide. It's nicely cut around the rivets on the rear cross member.

P1020125.JPG

The braces run back from the tow hitch at an angle of 75 degrees from the vertical of the outer plate and are bolted to the same point as the tow hitch.

Maybe with a 40 the plate wouldn't need to be as deep as 12 1/2". As the 45 is pretty damned leggy on the back!

Hope the info helps you mate!:thumbup:

Also had a good productive time on the chassis today..

P1020131.JPG

Have removed the driverside inner from the bell housing back. A good thing because it was pretty shot! Looking at this pic I was thinking that if you wanted to go completely overkill, you could indeed use appropriately sized box metal and form an inner chassis to reinforce the spring mounts on a continuous run from mount to mount.. if you did that then when the outer finally rots out and lets face it... it's half way there lol!!

P1020132.JPG

Also for the moment have removed the shock top chassis bar.. it doesnt go through both outer and inner will be going back in but be better through the outer section!:thumbup:

P1020133.JPG

Have virtually made the templates for the inner later today... soo much easier cutting thin plywood with an angle grinder than 4mm steel Lol!!:thumbup::icon-biggrin:

Back