Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1983 won't run when warmed up

DebosDave

Country Flag
united_states
My son bought the sweet FJ 60 a couple years back. He drove around pretty much stock until he started having difficulties with it running when it warmed up. Then the dreams of an engine transplant more power better Highway better Towing all these dreams came into play and we started to disassemble the vehicle. Now it has been sitting for a little while with the interior basically all torn out. I would now like to just get it running again all stock engine and transmission. Since it's been awhile I don't even know where to start I would like to get advice from those of you that do a lot of wrenching on your own time. I am thinking spark plugs maybe a coil and then see how the timing is. Where would you start? Is there something obvious I should try first? The problem seemed to be fuel air or something like that.

Check if it has a spark. Check if it gets fuel. If it smells of gas out the exhaust it’s probably got no spark. If you have a spark, with a syringe, squirt about a thimble full of fuel into each cylinder and see if it runs. If it does, you’ve got no fuel or contaminated fuel. After a long time standing, anybold gas needs safely draining or easier than that diluting with fresh but check all fuel lines first and change the filter. You will probably need to clean out the carb but can check if that’s ok by running it from a can of fuel, ideally closed so there’s no danger of ignition. An outboard boat fuel tank is great for this.
If no spark, remove central coil wire from distributor and hold it close to the block with plastic pliers or similar and see if you get a spark. If not test for voltage at the coil on each terminal to the block.

You say been sitting a while i would say remove spark plugs turn the engine over by hand to raise a bit of oil pressure round the block so that the bearings are not dry then crank it over by key making sure that the fuel supply is stopped or diverted safely you could also do a compression test if you think the engine is duff then go through ignition system and fuel system if you have the confidence get a carb rebuild kit and have a go or take it to a shop and let them do it as for ignition system plugs points leads maybe upgrade to eletronic ignition as once set should remain trouble free do these tasks grasshopper and when you have finished let us know how you got on

When did the fj60 go to elextronic ignition? Or are they all a points system

It is something you can have put in as an aftermarket upgrade electronic points once set up right you have no moving parts and the timing stays put

Back