Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1988 LJ70 flywheel and clutch conversions

Rusty Bottoms

Country Flag
scotland
Hi everyone, I'm eventually getting around to replacing the clutch on my 1UZFE powered LJ70 with R151F gearbox. I think it has the dreaded dual mass flywheel, but I haven't taken it apart yet. It shudders a bit on release, and increasingly slips under any kind of heavy throttle from 3rd on up. A quick stab of the throttle in 5th sends the revs flying with a ton of slippage, so I backed off straight away and don't do this anymore!

I want to replace and upgrade with solid flywheel and slightly larger dia/heavy duty clutch. Stock is 224mm, 21 spline clutch disc, and I am wanting to install a flywheel from a newer hilux, say a Toyota Hi-Lux 2.4 TD 08/97 > 07/01 for the LN165 Hi Lux with the 236mm clutch plate, as I've found a heavy duty replacement clutch here in the UK.

I also note Roughtrax does a single mass conversion for the KZJ70 3.0 diesel, with a 260mm disc, the largest available, but it's £566 and not a heavy duty clutch. I was going to get a used flywheel and new HD clutch combo to save a considerable sum.

Bit of a long shot, but has anyone tried this, or know if a newer, larger model single mass will bolt up and work without starter gear issues, etc? I'm assuming the current LJ70 flywheel bolts straight to the 1UZFE crank without mods, but may need to take it all apart and drive my Suzuki for awhile till it's sorted.

Cheers

Back