Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1990 LJ71 Engine replacement

UKLJ71

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi,

Joined today, and great to be here.

Im based in London, and recently bought a 1990 LJ71 Land Cruiser. Its a Jap import (1998). It has 150k on the clock, and im planning to redo it. The engine runs fine with no issues at all. I have read that the 2LTE engine head is prone to cracking. I want the body and interior redone, but thinking now of replacing the engine. So the questions are. 1- Do I redo the body and interior and have the engine looked over and replace it when it gives up. 2- Replace engine now. Then my follow-up question would be, what is the best engine to replace it with? Is there a engine that fits this manifold or would it all need changing?

What would a questimation be on price for engine swap?

Thanks

Attachments

• MY LJ71.jpeg
    MY LJ71.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 56
There is a similar thread not long ago. If I was you I would stay with the 2LT if it’s good, as long as you look after them they are good engines, the one in my LJ78 was a great engine (until my wife drove it ‍♂️)

Engine options are going to depend on a lot of factors, for example do you want diesel or petrol is it manual or automatic? Who is doing the conversion?

If you go the petrol Lexus V8 is a Common swap, can buy a conversion kit for manual gearboxes autos are easier to bolt together but a little trickier with the gearbox control but it is do-able.

If you go diesel then 1kz is a great engine, you you have a manual gearbox try and get a UK 4Runner as they have a manual injection pump which makes the job a lot easier, if it’s auto again a bit trickier. (See the other thread for my response) LJ78 is auto and I am planning a 1KZte swap… I’m not sure how that will go yet.

My LJ70 was manual gearbox so I decided to fit a daihatsu fourtrak engine, wasn’t the most straightforward swap because I ended up welding two bell housings together, but it’s a great engine.

I'd be way out of my depth to even try such a thing but because JCB have developed a marine 444 which is of course a crate stand alone engine supplied with a gauge panel , and because there is no replacement for displacement . I have wondered if its the 4 cylinder 4.4L equivalent of Toyota's mighty 4.2 .

Not to mention it currently holds the diesel powered land speed world record :whistle:

Great thanks. I have a manual diesel. Was thinking of keeping it diesel. So will look into the 1KZ. Ill look after this engine and see how it goes first. But want something that I can tour Europe with that im not constantly worried about breaking down. Im taking it in for a full rundown in a couple of weeks so will see what comes from it. Who would be doing it, not me thats for sure . Id need to look for someone around my area I suppose.

the 2LTE engine head is prone to cracking

I have read this too, and I have also read the same about the 1KZ engine.

However, my own real life experience has been quite different. I had an LJ70 for many years and towed a trailer all over the country with it. I used to really thrash the truck mercilessly and never ever had any problems. Utterly reliable and completely bomb proof. I believe @Iwan on here has improved a 2L-T from a slug into quite a lively performer by increasing turbo boost and increasing the fuel pump output, so if your engine is sound you really don't need to change it.

Then I got a KZJ70 and there's no doubt - it is a way better engine. This one got thrashed, too. This time in the sands of the Sahara - Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya (not Egypt - yet). High ambient temperatures and pedal to the floor in high 2nd for long stretches of very soft sand. Serious heat and again no head cracking, in fact no problems of any kind. The general consensus seems to be that so long as you keep your cooling system in tip top condition you won't have any head problems. BobMurphy on here ran a really good thread which is well worth a read.

Cooling the 1KZ-TE motor:​

Iwan and Ben (and others) have done the same engine swap you are thinking of, so there is a mass of useful information for you on this site. Have a good trawl around, you will find lots of good info. Good luck, and keep us posted with your progress.

I had a 3L 2.8 N/A from a hilux and fitted the oil cooler plate, fuel pump, turbo and connecting pieces from a 2LT.. with the fuel adjusted it was a very strong engine.

The good thing about this swap was that you don't have to source all the extra components that the 1kt e needs to run. So an easier exercise by just buying the engine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It seems the cracked head problem eventually gets to all the 2lte engines
I've got an lj78 auto, bought direct from importer about 15 years ago and although it was a sweet runner, gave it the full works soon after. Reversed fushed it, changed oils, changed all belts, water pump, radiator and Toyota red coolant. Kept on top of maintenance throughout, as it was my work vehicle/tow truck. Then about 2 years ago, just when I thought Id got away with it,the dreaded overflowing and bubbling header tank, and raised temp. On removing the head, around every chamber were hairline cracks, some more visible than others. Changed the head, along with all the usual, and is good as gold now. Most reliable vehicle I ever owned.
Apparently its a design fault, water jackets too near exhaust outlets in head = too much heat and thin metal.

Oh! - Sorry Iwan, I was mistaken. I thought your mods were on a 2L-T, not a 3L. I need to sit up straight and pay attention! Well that gives UKLJ71 another possibility. I agree about all the extra complications of swapping in a 1KZ-TE, give me a mechanical pump every time.

I had a 3L 2.8 N/A from a hilux and fitted the oil cooler plate, fuel pump, turbo and connecting pieces from a 2LT.. with the fuel adjusted it was a very strong engine.

The good thing about this swap was that you don't have to source all the extra components that the 1kt e needs to run. So an easier exercise by just buying the engine.
i have the same engine 2.8 D 3L engine..also planing to put turbo and intercooler ..and with that boos u prbbly got 5-6 hp less the original 3.0 1kz

I’ve had 1kzt manual pump from 4Runner in for about 5 years now and still goes strong best thing I ever did to it!!

There is a similar thread not long ago. If I was you I would stay with the 2LT if it’s good, as long as you look after them they are good engines, the one in my LJ78 was a great engine (until my wife drove it ‍♂️)

Engine options are going to depend on a lot of factors, for example do you want diesel or petrol is it manual or automatic? Who is doing the conversion?

If you go the petrol Lexus V8 is a Common swap, can buy a conversion kit for manual gearboxes autos are easier to bolt together but a little trickier with the gearbox control but it is do-able.

If you go diesel then 1kz is a great engine, you you have a manual gearbox try and get a UK 4Runner as they have a manual injection pump which makes the job a lot easier, if it’s auto again a bit trickier. (See the other thread for my response) LJ78 is auto and I am planning a 1KZte swap… I’m not sure how that will go yet.

My LJ70 was manual gearbox so I decided to fit a daihatsu fourtrak engine, wasn’t the most straightforward swap because I ended up welding two bell housings together, but it’s a great engine.
Hi! You have fotos??

Back