Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1993 fj80 Snorkel kit

jose estrada

Country Flag
united_states
im in serch of a snorkle iv come across 59.99 to 499.00 not sure what would be best ?
i would appreciate any info on what brand or a link to to a snorkel kit
thanks

Hi Jose a lot of variety available some say the cheap Chinese copies on ebay are great.

I have a American Air Flow one not cheap but good a new in a hot climate for over 6 years.

Happy for you thanks for sharing be great to see a picture of your fitted for others interested.

Picture as
20170218_142623.jpg
requested. Top pointing backwards as I don't understand why they are designed to face forward to collect rain and dust better. I will fit a cyclonic pre-cleaner when I find one at the right price.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The lower priced snorkels from some dealers are way more brittle in the cold when compared to brand names like SAFARI.
Would I put a Safari-Snorkel on a Weekend toy for 1000£? Probably not
Would I fit a Safari Snorkel to a 15K vehicle?? Most certainly & thats what I have gone by in the past.

Also some of the lower priced brands have a smaller inner diameter & tighter beds.... resulting in reduced airflow
Not what You want when You already have fitted " a straw" to the airside of Your engine

Yes, there are cheap and nasty snorkels available but this was merely cheap. It seems to be made of good quality thick plastic and was showing no sign of brittleness when I fitted it at 3 degrees. Brrrrrr.
It has six fixing studs; stainless steel in brass cast in threads, a purpose made rubber connector to the air filter and considerably larger and smoother bends than the OEM intake in the wing. The provided drilling template however needs to be treated with caution when translating the flat template to the multicurved wing. I would not have felt swindled if I had paid 4 or 5 times the price.

Only time will tell :)
There are quite a few lower priced but fair quality snorkels available.
Which brand did You get John?

I just know that when You hit a branch going through the bruch as -15deg C, You will know if the plastic holds up or not :)

Hi Peter,

I don't spend a lot (any) time at -15C; even the thought makes me shudder! However seller has relisted the snorkel at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-LANDCRUISER-80-SNORKEL-VC34TO0101-Offroad-Fit-90-98-/281886958694 and looking for it revealed that he also sells a cyclonic pre cleaner at a sensible price. I've ordered one and will report further when it arrives. My feed back on eBay refers to this thread so maybe the seller will comment on the low temperature performance.

John

Last edited:
So its an OFFTREK snorkel.
The brand does not ring any bells.
From their other listings is reminds me of items available from Alibaba. My brother just got his snorkel that way & war much pleased.

Yes, that looks like the one I bought. I recon USD 20-38 FOB china translates reasonably well to £57, all taxes paid and delivered to my door. I'm a happy customer!

John

Back