Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1993 HDJ80 alarm? really?

kevsta

Hi all. wondering if anybody can help with information about factory alarms on this year?

I didn't know it had an alarm until a week ago, (after 3 years ownership) when it suddenly went off as my girlfriend opened the passenger door with the key.

I had never had any reason to think that it did, it came with no keyfob, just non-alarm type keys, but the very next day I got it, the ignition barrel collapsed, so while waiting for the new one from Toyota I was starting it with a screwdriver in the hole, and 3 years worth of opening both side doors with keys, and the boot sometimes, with it locked, had never set any alarms off before.

the only thing that did happen a couple of weeks back was I had both batteries off it to fit one of these fancy ally rads from China, and its only since then.

but there is no mention whatsoever of anything in the original handbook, nor in the car (no LEDs) no keyfobs, sensors, no beeps when I lock it or unlock it, no aftermarket alarm boxes or wiring, so Im thinking its definitely factory, when set off it beeps the horn and flashes the lights, and wont start (first time) while its going, the second try on the key then seems to cancel the alarm and it will then go

all very odd. I would have sworn on oath I didnt have an alarm, but apparently I do. any ideas?

Can't help but interested in answers of how to remove it, as mine has gone off a couple of times and its bound to be trouble in the future.. I took it to my local auto spark but couldn't see an independent system so I guess it's in the ecu

i got a 93, the alarm control box is under the front passenger seat,
mine appears to work on the door locking system???

i got a 93, the alarm control box is under the front passenger seat,
mine appears to work on the door locking system???

..so it is, I missed that, thanks. :) a VSS box, and yes it definitely works off the central locking on the drivers door, which (now) only sometimes works, and when it occasionally doesnt and just unlocks the drivers door only, the alarm (now) goes off. it hasnt done for the previous 3 years.

but at least I found it and can read the manual online, as it was obviously a separate brochure from the handbook.

muchos gracias

So, does removing (or just disconnecting) that box under the front passenger seat disable the alarm but still allow the car to start and drive? I really want to ditch mine as only have one key fob and don't trust it not to leave me stranded one day! However, I still want to retain the central locking feature, ideally from the key fob but if not just by using the key would be fine.

Thanks,

Mike

Quite a few years ago my alarm and fob left me stranded in a car park. It took me about an hour and a half of pressing the fob button before the alarm went off. Never armed it since. Managed to take the siren out and unsolder the wire in the fuse box. But the alarm control unit is still connected. If i unplug this it wont start. Need to spend some more time trying to trace and unsplice the wires. It really is like a cancer in the vehicle.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
MikesVX80 said:
So, does removing (or just disconnecting) that box under the front passenger seat disable the alarm but still allow the car to start and drive? I really want to ditch mine as only have one key fob and don't trust it not to leave me stranded one day! However, I still want to retain the central locking feature, ideally from the key fob but if not just by using the key would be fine.

Thanks,

Mike​

Quite a few years ago my alarm and fob left me stranded in a car park. It took me about an hour and a half of pressing the fob button before the alarm went off. Never armed it since. Managed to take the siren out and unsolder the wire in the fuse box. But the alarm control unit is still connected. If i unplug this it wont start. Need to spend some more time trying to trace and unsplice the wires. It really is like a cancer in the vehicle.

good questions gents, I agree I would rather be able to disconnect it for reliability, hopefully may have some answers in a little while. presumably we could possibly permanently short the activation switching on it somehow so it never arms / fires?

will report back with any findings, may be a little while as Im waist deep in Audi v6 rebuilding currently and super grateful for the LC being such a reliable workhorse at the moment, Im scared of breaking it lol

Ok, found the last connection that Imobilised the vehicle. So now ive been able to unplug the control box once and for all and the cruiser will start.:thumbup:

Ok, found the last connection that Imobilised the vehicle. So now ive been able to unplug the control box once and for all and the cruiser will start.:thumbup:

That's great news! Would you be able to PM me some details so I can perform a similar operation on my own, please? Thanks!

mines a 96 mike and the control box is behind the glove box. you are welcome to the pictures and information i have if its still of use.

i wouldnt post up on the forum as i suspect some people wouldnt appreciate that..

i was looking for something today and found two "reconditioned" fobs i ordered from the states years ago, complete with instructions. i forgot i had these because it turned not to be for my alarm. pretty sure its for the alarm you fellas have. any use to any one?

I also need help with this, my alarm won't stop going off every time I open the door, its insane. I can't figure out how to private message im new to the site, can someone help?
-G

Back