Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1993 Prado 2L-TE power loss

juniorcara

Country Flag
united_states
i have a 1993 Prado with a 2L-TE. I have power loss when the engine has set a idle for 5 or 10 min. But power will eventually return after driving it for 3 - 5 min, but will lose power again after about a 20 min drive. I also have patterned inconsistent power output during a single tank of fuel. Usually the power is pretty good at a full tank, then it comes and goes as the tank empties, But I always have the best power from my Prado when the tank is full or has less than 10 liters of fuel (2.5 Gal or so). I have no hard start in the morning, but the engine acts like there is air in the injectors. If i try and start it it will start up easy, but if I try to raise the RPMs up through the power band it will begin to sputter and vibrate as it blows black and gray smoke. In trying to fix the power inconsistency I have: changed the oil, air cleaner, fuel filter and primer pump, cleaned fuel tank, changed fuel injectors, calibrated injectors and Fuel pump. I have even tried periodically opening fuel cap to relieve any vacuum. But in the end the inconsistent power is the same. (yea i know thats a contradiction)
It also has a bit of an overheating problem when trying to push it up hills but will not overheat as long as i keep the turbo boost indicator light on the dash from coming on. (I have a 4 tube Radiator) I suspected a cracked head because it constantly overheated, so i had it removed for inspection and there was no crack (so they said). I also periodically have to put water in the engine because it just disappears (the coolant i mean). No leak, No dripping, no steam (not even from the overflow), it will just go out and then the engine will gradually start to run hotter. So i changed the coolant cap and it is still the same. I also noticed that there are some air bubbles that will come out of the coolant if i have the cap off and the engine running. It even bubbles after i have done a hose Flush of the entire coolant system to make sure there were no pockets of air. any and i mean any suggestions would be appreciated.

I note no replies, perhaps you have posted it in the wrong forum?regardsDave

Those are all symptoms of a cracked head.

Its the real achilles wheel of this engine, and whilst its possible your problem is something else, I'm going to go with the head being cracked between no.3 & 4 cylinder.

Find a garage than can do the gas analysis test, it checks to see if you got exhaust gases in the coolant.

Good luck....

Pete

Back