Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1996 1FZ-FE price?

Landlover

Country Flag
australia
Hi Gurus , Hope someone can advise me here as i am new to this 80 series

Have seen few 80 series last week with 7K marks and got dual fuel * petrol and gas) . not sure which one should pick ?

1) 1996 - 80 series with 340000 km on clock , a very old man used it for more than 15 years . Has rebuild the engine 20000 km ago . Look like factory stock as no aftermarket items found on the car ( no lift , no snorkeler , no dual battery , no radio , no mud Tyre ) . Comes with RWC . No service history but full receipt for engine rebuilt and timing change replace . Owner said he service every 6oook

2) 1996 - 80 series with 335000km on clock . This owner keep this car for last 20 year and rebuild the engine 20000 km . It have dual battery , radio . Asking 7.5k with RWC. It has service history

please advise . thanks

Both sound pretty decent if the engine rebuilds are genuine. What's the state of the trannies in both? Auto or manual and if auto, ever rebuilt, and if manual, how are the synchros?

Both sound pretty decent if the engine rebuilds are genuine. What's the state of the trannies in both? Auto or manual and if auto, ever rebuilt, and if manual, how are the synchros?

Both are autos . the first one with 340k i have seen the engine rebuild receipts and valve clearance data sheet. But there is a rubbing noise form the engine side. Had a check with my friend ( mechanic) he said it might be form the belt as it is too tight .

The 2nd one , i have not seen the receipt but he said he got to search for it . but i have seen the service history .

Assuming it is a belt that's tight, if there already is a rubbing noise it could be too late and need work to an accessory bearing. Not a showstopper, but will require attention soon.

Sounds like you have the engine rebuilds verified at least for the first one, but what about the transmission - an auto is more than likely going to need a rebuild sometime soon if it hasn't already had one. I would only be guessing but it would have be to a 4-digit price job.

My 90 series has a A343F and has been rebuilt once at about 300,000km. Again I have to say I'm not an 80 series expert, maybe others have better info on the auto transmission life of the 80 series?

Thanks mate,
I dont think both of them have tras rebuild . As far i know the both were running on gas caused engine failure at 300k .

Fair enough, personally I would still go for them if the doco checks out, but be aware you may face the transmission rebuild at some point. But again it depends on your use case - if you're putting 20,000km/yr on it will be a bigger issue than if you only so 3000km/yr camping. Might still want to pay close attention to the time to take up drive and reverse and shifting behaviour and see if checks out, bearing in mind these are old-school slushbox type autos :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes mate , Its a weekend car and i wont be using much . Should i go with 1 or 2 .
Anything particularly should i check again ?

Year, price, and mileage are all very similar. Personally I would not worry about the extra accessories especially electrical ones or they were massively important to you.

At this stage you would be wanting to compare tyres, brakes, consumables like that plus body and interior condition etc. Bearing in mind tyres can cost north of 1.5k if you need a full set.

With the LPG system check the date stamp on the tank; they are only valid for 10 years.

The main reason I would suspect they've had engine rebuilds is because they are Dual Fuel - personally, that's one thing I deliberately avoided with my FZJ80.

Personally, I like the look of this one:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1997-toyota-landcruiser-gxl-auto-4wd/SSE-AD-6551587/?Cr=6

At the $10k mark you're starting to get into an FZJ105 as well, but I know it's not eligible for club rego (as soon as it is eligible, watch the prices tick back upwards)

Certainly a sweet looking motor mate, if you're getting over 2 grand off the $10k listed price. Roof rack will be good too if you get that chucked in. As for the motor and transmission, I guess it's a case of the more you can afford work down the track the less the condition matters. If your budget was 10k then in theory you have 2k plus in the bank for that.

have any one see a petrol engine run with flash lube ? As one of the 4.5L 80 owner said it is good for the engine while running on gas as it can lube the engine head .

Back