Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1997 80 Series Alarm/immobiliser and security questions

Michael Clark

Country Flag
uk
Im overland preparing my 80 and it has the OEM alarm and immobiliser. Is it worth leaving in there or can it be unreliable.

If so how to remove and what other security measures can one take. I usually fit a hidden switch to cut off something like fuel pump or starter relay and tap in to a random location that would take a while to find.

Anyone done this?

Thanks

Mike

My POs had disconnected the OEM alarm for their Africa trip for that very reason. I fitted an after-market when I got it [for insurance]. They used a steering wheel lock and a U-lock around the automatic T-bar. I've added shatterproof film on the windows. I think it is better to as for PMs on where to add security devices etc specifically because the forum is quite open and we need to keep the bandits guessing :icon-biggrin:

Personally i'd say ditch the immobiliser. We used a steering lock all the time in Africa and peddle lock if we were leaving the truck anywhere we felt needed extra security (which wasn't often to be honest). We also had blacked out the rear windows so people couldn't see into the back of the truck.

IMO the OEM immobiliser and the TVSS alarm fitted to the 80 are reliable enough but I would always recommend some form of additional mechanical ani theft device. I also use a lock that secures the steering wheel and clutch pedal. I’ve wired in a cutoff switch on previous vehicles but haven’t bothered in the 80 but it’s certainly a good idea and would fit one if going abroad with it.

I've just had to have mine removed, after disconnecting the battery it immobilised itself and couldn't be reset. I'd recommend fitting a new one (as I have done) or alternative security measure's. Mine was the original dealer fitted system. Don't suppose it did too bad lasting as long as it did.

Thanks all. Ill remove the OEM system then.

If you unplugged the fuel pump/lift pump I guess that would stop the engine running, but would it allow air in the system.

I may also fit a removeable steering wheel.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks all. Ill remove the OEM system then.

If you unplugged the fuel pump/lift pump I guess that would stop the engine running, but would it allow air in the system.

I may also fit a removeable steering wheel.

Alternatively fit a hidden switch to kill power to the pump. Won't stop a serious bad 'un, but better than nothing and may stop opportunistic numpties.

Yes thats kind of what I meant. If I put a switch in one of the supplies to the pump the fuel supply will be cut. Just wondered if it will get air sucked in the system

Don't believe so - engine will just crank and not fire, but should self prime when you turn on the switch. We've done this on ours.

AFAIK, the TVSS alarm fitted to the last 80’s isn’t strictly OEM (as in factory fit) in the same way as the immobiliser is, having been fitted by Toyota UK on import so should be easier to remove. Cutting power to the pump with a hidden switch must mean the feed to the fuel shut off valve, the only “problem”being access to the valve is fairly easy with the bonnet up so someone familiar with the vehicle could defeat a switch. Maybe a hidden fuel tap, manual or solenoid operated, would be more effective?

The alarm and the immobiliser on mine are separate things, I would have thought yours would be the same if it is after 1996 and not an import model. You can tell by the key.

20180815_214518.jpg

Transponder keys.

The alarm is port or dealer fitted, I can tell you where the connections will be via pm. Not much point in removing it if it is working, as it would be so easy to bypass if it went wrong.

The immobiliser is a transponder chip in the key, and would be very difficult to defeat unless prepared, the ecu would stop the electronic injectors working. It should be very reliable, the weak point reliability wise is the key so be sure to have a spare with correct chip in.

I think you would struggle to stop anyone just coming along and winching it onto a recovery truck though.

Multiple barriers are the best way, if a car was to be stolen, the car would have to be broken into, and the alarm set off, then the thief would have to stop the siren, and the siren has an internal battery so would have to be broken apart to stop it, then the hazards would need to be stopped flashing, then the start inhibitor bypassed, then the steering lock broken or removed, then the immobiliser defeated. Add a couple of extra barriers such as a steering wheel lock or pedal lock and that would go a long way to put a thief off. The more obvious barriers the better. New cars don't have these mechanical barriers, that's why they seem to be easy targets at the moment.

AFAIK, the TVSS alarm fitted to the last 80’s isn’t strictly OEM (as in factory fit) in the same way as the immobiliser is, having been fitted by Toyota UK on import so should be easier to remove. Cutting power to the pump with a hidden switch must mean the feed to the fuel shut off valve, the only “problem”being access to the valve is fairly easy with the bonnet up so someone familiar with the vehicle could defeat a switch. Maybe a hidden fuel tap, manual or solenoid operated, would be more effective?

Completely agree, its mostly a question of making it difficult for the feckers.... more chance of being interrupted etc - lots of smaller challenges can make a difference I think. Better than an all singing system than might leave you screwed when travelling. My 2p :)

I spliced the heavy cable down to the starter motor and put a keyed switch with the switch just below the glove box. In order to take the high current I had to spend a lot on the switch and also a lot on heavy cable as the original was not long enough. Switch is not visible until you put your head under the glove box but easy to remove the strongly sprung key. Thieves would have to bring jump leads and know exactly what they were doing. Turning on the engine with key out just results in a click which they would assume was an immobiliser or flat batteries. Still no defence to being lifted.

Back