Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1Fz-Fe power loss

Jon_Tallis

Country Flag
wales
Hello again,
Got an issue with the 80 - loss of power when cold.
Truck is very very flat when cold, almost no power (struggling to climb a medium gradient), however if I lock the box down and get the revs up above 3500 it all comes back with a thump and we're off! Once it's really full warmed up (after 15-20 mins of driving) everything seems pretty normal. Things are a little better in "power" mode but the fault's still there until fully warmed up. Truck is LPG converted but the fault is the same or Petrol or Gas so I'm thinking a base engine management fault rather than an LPG problem.
There's no "check engine" light (yes it is working!) but I've read elsewhere that a sensor issue can put the engine into safe mode (rich / retarded spark) without triggering a fault light.
I don't have the ability right now to investigate codes (see my other post) so has anyone experienced and fixed the same and can point me to where to start?
Thanks!

Mine is a bit flat down low and you have to get it over 2500-3000 for it to get in the power band so to speak. It is worse when cold, also lpg/petrol but I've kind of got used to it tbh as figured that is how it is supposed to be. If I get time I'll check the codes like the other thread, very useful, loved the video :) .

Knock sensors can cause issues, I think the front one can have connection problems. Would also check the ignition timing.
Egr valve would be worth a check to make sure not sticking.
What condition is the distributor cap and rota arm?

How many miles, have you done a compression test from cold and when hot?
Gearbox oil in good condition?
Correct engine oil?

Mine is a little flat from cold but doesn't struggle to pull, couple of minutes driving to warm up and its normal.

Knock sensors can cause issues, I think the front one can have connection problems. Would also check the ignition timing.
Egr valve would be worth a check to make sure not sticking.
What condition is the distributor cap and rota arm?

How many miles, have you done a compression test from cold and when hot?
Gearbox oil in good condition?
Correct engine oil?

Mine is a little flat from cold but doesn't struggle to pull, couple of minutes driving to warm up and its normal.
Great pointer, thank.
Would the knock issue flag as a dtc? Tough to check timing unless on a dyno but can do that if needs be. It’s going on for alignment tomorrow at a local garage so will get to check egr & oil. For mine its nearly run in mileage ;), distributor is new last year, gearbox rebuilt fairly.

Thanks guys, away for a short while now but will get investigating when in back.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back