Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-FT Emissions control manual ERM111E

Gents,

I've been looking into this for a while, Like Chapel gate my EGR has been disconnected for ages, but I'm ready to delete all the unnecessary solenoids and vacuum pipes. I did place a post on the 80 forum but didn't get much response.

I have found a really useful Russian website which gives the full details of what needs to be removed and what needs to be kept, you'll need to use google translate (unless you can speak Russian, of course!) so it can be a bit hard to follow. I'll post the links below.

https://www.land-cruiser.ru/index.php?/topic/148583-otklyuchenie-egr-na-1hd-ft-faza-2-final/

This second link details the development of the 1HD-FT and how it ended up strangled with emissions control equipment, it was never originally designed to be like this. Very interesting reading.

https://www.land-cruiser.ru/index.php?/topic/168302-1hd-ft-istoriya-motora-kotoromu-ne-davali-normalno-dyshat…/

Cheers for that, I'm concerned the new MOT and rules regarding warning lights may pose a problem if the the tester is being a bit strict. I've got the gist of it I think and I need to cut the two wires shown in the two plugs and the heater warning goes off. Has anyone tried this ?

I've removed my heater, no lights on at all.

I took out the egt and all the remaining vac/boost hoses. Just boost going to the wastegate & compensator on the pump and to a boost gauge. Lights been on ever since.

did you connect an earth bond from the blanked off intake pipe (where the EGR valves were) down to the block?

On 1HD-FT there will either be vacuum or atmospheric pressure below the pump diaphragm depending on the position of the solenoid. Inceasing the vacuum below will have the same effect as increasing the boost pressure above and vice versa. The vacuum will be applied to offset low boost lowdown in the range, gradually being reduced as boost increases, hence operation being ECU controlled. This is no doubt partly for emissions as much as performance but I don’t see how you can get it to run correctly with the OEM pump and the vacuum supply either disconnected or connected permanently. I removed the EGR valves and manifold some time ago leaving the wiring connected and the vacuum hoses blanked off but I’ll probably have to refit it (deactivated) for the next MOT.

did you connect an earth bond from the blanked off intake pipe (where the EGR valves were) down to the block?

I got rid of the whole crossover and the intake heater as I fitted a front intercooler. The doohickeys that were attached to the crossover are just hanging around annoying me.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gents,

I've been looking into this for a while, Like Chapel gate my EGR has been disconnected for ages, but I'm ready to delete all the unnecessary solenoids and vacuum pipes. I did place a post on the 80 forum but didn't get much response.

I have found a really useful Russian website which gives the full details of what needs to be removed and what needs to be kept, you'll need to use google translate (unless you can speak Russian, of course!) so it can be a bit hard to follow. I'll post the links below.

https://www.land-cruiser.ru/index.php?/topic/148583-otklyuchenie-egr-na-1hd-ft-faza-2-final/

This second link details the development of the 1HD-FT and how it ended up strangled with emissions control equipment, it was never originally designed to be like this. Very interesting reading.

https://www.land-cruiser.ru/index.php?/topic/168302-1hd-ft-istoriya-motora-kotoromu-ne-davali-normalno-dyshat…/

would anyone be so kind to translate this?:icon-biggrin:
I did pose the question. the manuals are still available.
in Japanese.....

you can use google translate & translate the whole page. It comes out sort of like English!

I tried briefly brett. it all went horrible wrong. it doesn't take much for me to lose my rag with computers, devices, tablets, phones, flux capacitors.. etc etc..

I have finally come across this manual, it is in Dutch tough but I can translate if anyone wants information out of it.

@nielsc I am very interested in the manual if you still have it available, please! I can read Dutch too so you won't need to translate anything. My 1HD-FT's sluggishness is driving me bananas!

Back