Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-FT Glow plug relay melt down

Roy Duffy

Country Flag
scotland
Hello

My glow plug relay has melted. It smelt bad and smoked a lot. Got a wee fright as I don't want to burn at this tender young age :)

glow pug.jpg

This is not mine. I got it of the forum. Mine was quite a bit worse.

1. Do I need to replace?

2. Can i insulate the cable ends and not have a heater system

All awesome advice appreciated!!

Thanks
Roy

Most people just do away with the heater Roy.

We have seen this many times.

Most people just do away with the heater Roy.

We have seen this many times.

Thanks Karl

What do I need to do to do away with it? Is there a thread or can i just insulate the cable terminal ends? And carry on without the relay?

Camping int the Troopy at HUBB this weekend so will sort it next week :)

Cheers
Roy

That's my relay in the pic. I chose to keep the heater and replaced the relay with a motorcycle starter relay, approx the same size and £17 compared to £180 for the OEM relay. That was a few years ago now and worked fine ever since. The relay has a feed straight from the OS battery so you could isolate the wiring there. You could take this one step further if you wanted to and remove the whole heater assembly and replace the crossover pipe with one from a model without the heater, probably an import.

I took the guts out of my heater to improve airflow. Well, to change airflow I should say. Not going to debate whether it's better. But it's different that's for sure. Feels much freer revving. Slightly louder in the snorkel too.

Took the heater off my last 80 and fitted a flexi pipe to join up. Disconnected the wiring.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great stuff! Think Ill isolate it from the battery and at some stage do away with the heater all together.

Thank you all very much for your awesome help!! - As always much appreciated!! :)

Back