Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-FT straight vegetable oil

nielsc

Country Flag
belgium
Since diesel prices in Belgium are going crazy because of the mafia government I am thinking of running my 80 on SVO.
It is actually quite cheaper to buy in 1l bottles then diesel at the moment, so probably if I could get it in bulk it will be even more cheaper.
My collegue told me "most" VE pumps actually take 100% vegetable oil in the tank (in the summer) but advised me to not run it more than 50% mixed with diesel.
Looking on the internet I find 12 valve 80 series who simply run SVO in the tank, but cannot find anything on the 24v.
Knowing it has 2 stage injectors and different injection pump got me thinking if it is even possible to do this?
Any expierience or opinions?

Yep its possible.
Twin tank is the way to go though.

UVO is enen cheaper/ free ;)

I know it would be possible/better with a twin tank setup but I do not want to go this route because of legality issues over here on such a setup and also because it is more complicated.
What I would like to know is if its possible to run an 1HDFT on SVO 50-50 mixed with diesel by just pouring it in the tank?

I ran bio diesel (refined UVO) a few years back during a spike in pump diesel prices and it ran fine on that until I suffered a blocked fuel filter clogged with what looked like marmalade! Thankfully it kept the stuff from reaching the pump so I just replaced the filter and went back to pump fuel. I suspect the blockage was due to a fall off in the quality of the locally produced bio diesel. Raw unrefined VO, new or used contains glycerine (taken out by the bio diesel refining process) and this isn’t good for the engine long term. No doubt there are those that use it without apparent issues but, personally, I wouldn’t touch it.

Have you got biodiesel suppliers that are open to the public in Belgium?

I wanted to run my 100 on veg oil but making my own is not an option so I started looking for commercial operations. There are not many of them left after changes in legislation a few years ago made the industry much less lucrative.

There’s one remaining pump around here where 100% bio derived from cooking oil has just gone up to 120p/l compared to 130-150p/l for diesel. Not a massive saving but the truck runs very smoothly on it and it feels less like daylight robbery when you’re handing your money over to a nice chap in a light industrial unit off the M1.

6694353D-6211-4673-9297-1087FADED8D3.jpeg

9B3C1F13-490F-414F-9C59-B704233D9938.jpeg

I can’t always get to him during the week so the bio always gets mixed up with regular diesel but it works a treat. They recommended me to change the fuel filter after the third tank and when I did it was surprisingly clean.

I know it would be possible/better with a twin tank setup but I do not want to go this route because of legality issues over here on such a setup and also because it is more complicated.
What I would like to know is if its possible to run an 1HDFT on SVO 50-50 mixed with diesel by just pouring it in the tank?

yes you can. i Have done it and do do it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I ran the 80 on biodiesel from a local producer. The drop in economy offset the difference in cost to make it no better so I went back to pump derv. Apparently some vehicles run more mpg, some less according to the chap I was buying it from.

Run for three years plus SVO that I filtered myself using a 3 stage filtering system down to 1 micron.

A twin tank system using a switch over system running through a heat exchanger that at 70c would thin the oil closer to the vosoity of diesel.

Had some issues over time being fuel pump not flushing through for some reason and the damage to injectors.

TBH the fuel pump was worn so that may of added to the issue and later found out needed to service the injectors once a year. P.s only changed fuel filter on servicing schedule but could of change that more often too.

Personally I gave up after having piston 1 get stuck and damage the engine so after rebuilding didn’t go back.

Conclusion is that it can be done but the cost to keep it running this way goes up with risks. Live and learn.

Last edited:
Hi Niels,
I think driving on svo in belgium is as illegal as running it on red diesel.
So why not run it on red diesel?

Hi Niels,
I think driving on svo in belgium is as illegal as running it on red diesel.
So why not run it on red diesel?
Been thinking that aswell, but I don’t think customs test for vegetable oil, only for red diesel? I think I am a too good citizen :)
But, I have never been stopped by customs, and I believe the first fine is €500 wich pays back itself within 2 months or so.

They run good. Just stay away from palm oil as thats the one that really suffers with congealing and gumming up. Though twin tank is the way to go as you want to start on diesel till the engines hot and flush with diesel after the journy so as not to leave veg in the system as it will eat the seals in the pump and in the cold struggle to start. Fuel filter changes and oil changes will need to be more regular as well

Back