Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hd-fte fuel filter replacement

SteveS

Can anyone point me to a step by step guide to changing the fuel filter - idiots guide - you know, turn this, detach that etc. I've got various versions of service manual pdf but can't find a section on this service item.

TIA

Steve

1. Drain the filter by opening the water drainage screw at the bottom of the filter.
  2. Unscrew the filter from the bracket.
  3. Unscrew the warning switch from the filter.
  4. Screw the warning switch onto the new filter.
  5. Screw the new filter onto the bracket.
  6. Prime the filter by hand.
(that's a lot of screwing)

PS: You may want to put a hose on the drain before point 1, if you don't like the nice smell for the next couple of days.

1. Drain the filter by opening the water drainage screw at the bottom of the filter.
  2. Unscrew the filter from the bracket.
  3. Unscrew the warning switch from the filter.
  4. Screw the warning switch onto the new filter.
  5. Screw the new filter onto the bracket.
  6. Prime the filter by hand.
(that's a lot of screwing)

PS: You may want to put a hose on the drain before point 1, if you don't like the nice smell for the next couple of days.

p.s .... make it "hand tight" also!!

Thanks......drainage screw: I dont remember seeing that - I'll take a look for that in the morning

Thanks for the idiots guide :)

Just a thought I'd add as I believe the 90 series filter housing are similar?

But I poor a bit of fuel in the new filter as I find the primer doesn't help much with priming as there tends to be air in the system. If you don't do this make sure once your engine is running to let it run for a good couple minutes to get rid of the air. I've in the past been too hasty switching the engine off and end up with air in the fuel pump which can require a lot of cranking to get started again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
DSC_0632.JPG
Since we are talking diesel fuel filter:
If you want a filter which can go further on bad fuel, or in dusty environments; there is a longer version, with about twice the filter area, that fits right on the standard filter holder.

Last edited:
uHu - thanks for that tip on the longer filter - I'll take a look at that. I've moved the moved the whole filter assy to get the third battery in, so I'll check I've still got space for that. Can I get that from Toyota UK parts desk in the normal way?

Just a thought I'd add as I believe the 90 series filter housing are similar?

But I poor a bit of fuel in the new filter as I find the primer doesn't help much with priming as there tends to be air in the system. If you don't do this make sure once your engine is running to let it run for a good couple minutes to get rid of the air. I've in the past been too hasty switching the engine off and end up with air in the fuel pump which can require a lot of cranking to get started again.

Thanks for the tips - much appreciated. When I had my Defender you were supposed to buy a special LR pump tool otherwise you'd REALLY struggle to get it going again......never bought one as they were so expensive, so pleased to see no special tooling required on Toyota

...so I'll check I've still got space for that. Can I get that from Toyota UK parts desk in the normal way?
I did get it through a dealer years ago. Haven't checked lately as I still have a spare.
In the original filter position, the holder has to be moved up by a few mm to fit the long filter, if that helps. I used 2-3 washers on each bolt to raise it a bit.

I never have any problems bleeding the fuel up, but I do make sure that the tank is full as it makes it a bit easier on the hand pump.
I also put a bit of lube on the o rings to help with the assembly process.

Lastly I just pull the exit fuel line of the filter head and use the pump until I get a good splash of fuel out, push the pipe back on and job done.

Just a thought I'd add as I believe the 90 series filter housing are similar?.

Same filter on both the 90 and 100 diesels. I have both trucks.

Always fill the filter first and then prime the hell out of it. Running the pump without fuel causes a ton of wear. Needs the diesel running through it to lubricate and cool the pump.

Back