Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hd fte misfire

Blake01FTE

Country Flag
australia
Hi,
I’ve been trying to source a misfire for a while.
I have just had new injectors installed with no change, could it be the suction control valve, timing control valve??

I’ve attached a video of the puffs of white smoke definitely smells like diesel, genuine fuel filter fitted.
I’m stumped, is there anyone that may know what could cause the symptoms?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Do not assume that this is a fuel injection problem. Quite possible that this is a cylinder/compression issue? You need to carry out a cylinder balance test or a individual cylinder compression test.

I’d do compression last - it’s the least likely issue and compression testing is a pain as you need the rare and expensive adapter.

Start with air in fuel - the symptoms fit perfectly. Fit a piece of clear fuel line between IP and filter housing, if there’re air bubbles keep moving it back until there’s no air to pin point.

Timing will also do this so If there’s no air check your TCV wiring, and shutter wiring can also mess with the running parameters.

If your spill driver doesn’t have a separate dedicated earth wire fit it - it can cause any issues

Last edited:
How many miles has it done?
It may be worth checking the valve clearances etc.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Checking valve clearances is just part of diagnostics with Diesel engine faults.
It’s generally easier to have the rocker boxes off and run through clearances and check injector heights as a matter of course before pulling injectors for compression testing.
It also lets you look at the valve gear and make sure everything is as it should be.

Back