Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-T - AFtermarket Water pump and Timing belt Idler

Ale

Hi Guys

I've recently bought a '94 Series 80 4.2TD, Auto. It needs a bit of TLC and a good service, and I've got a long list of jobs that need doing.. I'll post up some pics etc in a separate post.

I'm already mid-way through replacing the front exhaust section (rust on the front box joint & damaged flexi). But one issue I have immediately is that its leaking coolant (probably a drip every second or so). On good inspection I've discovered seems to be coming from around the water pump housing (its more or less around the lower part of the housing which drives the engine cooling fan.

I'm planning to give the cooling system an overhaul with some new parts and a good flush. As the water pump seems to be hidden behind the timing belt, I guess I may as well replace this part now along with the idler / tension spring, so I know this job is done. It last ad a cambelt approx 3 - 4 years ago, but the service history for the past 6 years is a little patchy, so not sure if it had just belt, or belt + idler etc changed.

Having been a little shocked by the price of the Water Pump and Timing belt Idler from my local Toyota dealer, I was wondering whether anyone has any experience of the Milner parts? Their Idler seems to be a Koyo part, so I'm reasonably comfortable with that. But what about the quality of the water pump?

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers

Al

If you'd had mine you wouldn't have had these problems, !!! LOL

Would be very careful of aftermarket for such a key component on anything you intend to keep/cherish

Thanks Joinerman... I managed to find a UK model with the diffs and the rear row of seats, otherwise I would have bought your's :)

Thanks for your other input. I'll wait for Simon to return next week to see what Toyota discounts he can provide. I'll also take the parts apart to see exactly whats what.

Would be very careful of aftermarket for such a key component on anything you intend to keep/cherish

That's the way I think. A water pump failiure would be inconvenient. A timing belt/idler failiure could be catastrophic and ££££ to fix.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The trouble is, a water pump failure will leak the coolant. This will probably go unnoticed, then the rising temperature will probably also go unnoticed, then it will cook the engine, then it will be catastrophic!

The trouble is, a water pump failure will leak the coolant. This will probably go unnoticed, then the rising temperature will probably also go unnoticed, then it will cook the engine, then it will be catastrophic!

I wouldn't have thought so personally. Engine temp is easily monitored. A climbing temp gauge, falling oil pressure, engine power loss/hesitation, maybe steam from the engine bay. An imminent belt/idler failiure is a ticking time bomb in comparison. JMO

Water pumps rarely give up completely in an instant. Usually they start leaking a bit and then you still have a few 1000's km before complete failure. The practice of monitoring levels of fluids on a daily basis is a good one if you are on road for a serious trip. Mine started leaking in Western Sahara in 2011 and as it was not a big leak I just keep topping up and changed the pump at home, some 5000 km later.

An imminent belt/idler failiure is a ticking time bomb in comparison.
Exactly. Don't hesitate but change when it's time and ask questions later. :)

Regarding the originals and third party parts:
In our country, the prices for original items are ridiculously priced, as I observe usually 10% - 20% more expensive than in UK and you can count also that our wages are considerably lower on average. So we think twice which parts we buy original and which not.

Timing belt and other belts: we use Gates without a single problem so far (but religiously stick to replacing them when it is due).
Idler pulley: Original or if you can source one, Koni (the good bearing company) makes them and are roughly half the price of original.
Water pump: I bought original for my HDJ80 but really won't do it again as there exist good aftermarket ones that are proving themselves reliable on my clients vehicles.

Hello Ale,

For all our customers we only use OEM Toyota. You cannot run the risk of cracking your engine for a FukiWuki part. There is a company in Holland who supplies OEM parts for aftermarket prices. Largest in Europe. Landcruiser Adventure.
Cheers, Martinus

In my experience buying cheaper parts other than OEM is a bad decision:-

1. They most likely fail earlier.
2. They most likely don't fit properly.
3. You risk being stranded.
4. You risk damage to your vehicle.
5. There is usually zero customer support and in case number 4 above you've really had it.
6. Oh yes and then there's all the frustration of having lost your money and having to buy OEM which you should have done in the first place.
7. Slightly shortens your life expectancy.
8..............................Think that's everything.

Frank

Back