Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hd-t auto won't climb hills...

Sukhraj

My 1hd-t auto has a problem climbing steep hills from standstill. It's also sluggish moving off from junctions etc. Once up and moving, it pulls very strongly once the turbo kicks in. Any idea what the issue could be?
Cheers!

what sort of condition/level of the oil always the best bet with auto boxes.
stu

Thanks for replying, just got it so don't know when the ATF was last changed, level is ok. Will change fluid and see if it makes a difference.

didnt Chris have an issue like this? and he tweaked the fuel pump settings

I most certainly did. Essentially this was the torque converter stalling. I could climb a steep bank only to a point where the revs stopped at 1500 and the wheels weren't going round. I gave the mass fuel screw a 1/4 IIRC and now it goes up banks to the point that if it's too steep and I can't get up, the wheels WILL spin. Basically it was a power shortage. I also fitted a pusher fuel pump to make sure there wasn't additional load on the mechanical pump trying to pull fuel about 8' vertically!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There is a current thread about this on LCOOL . Essentially the issue is in the pump and the way some people get around it, without overhauling the pump internals, is to use the hand throttle to go up the hill. Note that you need to register to view LCOOL.

Not sure how that works. With mine, it was power and the lack of it causing TC stalling. The hand throttle changes none of that, it just gives you a free foot to play with. I just could not get up banks at all. I think I have a vid of it somewhere. One small tweak and a little more fuel and I was sorted. I had new injectors in as well and that didn't cure it. I guess after nearly 20 years the system goes off the boil a little. I could have messed around with the other screws but advice was you can't ''boost' what isn't there. Small turn and woof. I had bigger tyres on then (than standard) and maybe if I'd stuck with original 31's or whatever, it might have gone up. Going to 33's changes the game doesn't it. Now on 37's and 4.56 diffs, I still can't always get up, but the TC doesn't stall.

Back