Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hdft coolant drain

Lexie

Country Flag
great_britain
Can anyone point me in the direction of the drain plug on the block. I know its been covered before but for the life of me can i find it

Well I've never been able to find a drain cock on my 1995 car and I don't have one in the position indicated in that excellent picture. In said position my block has a bulge in it but it has not been machined and tapped.

I suspect they could well silt up and be blocked anyway.

I cant find mines either on both 1hdft engines so i oppted for the long task of several flushes warm up then cool..

Its there on my 96 and a complete bugger to find. I struggle
Every time. Once found its even harder to undo.

20171203_123430.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've seen earlier versions of the 1H engines have it forward of the oil filter, just below the IP, iirc.

Anyhow, wouldn't all coolant drain thru' the lower radiator hose?

No sign of a drain plug on mine in the position mentioned, just what looks like a core plug as in Lexie's photo. The FSM for the 1FT motor shows the drain plug on the oil cooler cover forward of the oil filter so maybe we're looking in the wrong place?

Drain Plug.png

I think the whole block is in circulating water therefore as uHu says the lowest part of the block coolant would be at the level of the outlet. I've put a tap and pipe in my lower hose so I can drain the whole system without making (much) of a mess.

I think the whole block is in circulating water therefore as uHu says the lowest part of the block coolant would be at the level of the outlet. I've put a tap and pipe in my lower hose so I can drain the whole system without making (much) of a mess.
Any pictures of this tap and pipe. I like that idea

I just done several flushes and worked fine, very time consuming tho. My coolant wasnt bad by any means which was a bonus was just looking a good flush out.

Trust Mr T to hide the dam thing behind IP .. tut tut
20171203_121632.jpg
Thats the fleet ready for what ever winter throws at them

If you changed the stat or at least had the old one out (a proper flush is virtually impossible with it still in) then the block drain plug is redundant really IMO, wherever it is!

I wasnt prepared to start looking for bolts on a sunday if anything went wrong.

Back