Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HDFT glow system

An update,
the last couple of days the glow light goes on and off more frequently during driving, at first it would not light up at all, very strange. It seems that when I accelerate the lights comes on, but I'm not really 100% sure.

Whilst reading on the internet I found the glow light also is used as a check engine light ? This maybe explains why it is lighting up? If so, how do I check the codes ?

Also I found out the function of the EGR and the heather screen are combined in the emissions ECU.
Since my EGR has been removed this could have to do anything with this ? The plugs from the actuators are plugged in, and the vacuum lines are looped to each other.

I've also read a topic on here that you need to ground the heather screen to the exhaust manifold as it is grounded trough the EGR valves, that I don't have anymore, this could explain why the relay is burnt due to bad ground and high current. So now I have grounded the heather screen to the ex manifold.

If the glow light is coming on randomly while driving then you have a loose or dodgy connection somewhere IMO.
I have also completely removed the mechanical parts of the EGR setup but left the plugs connected so as not to confuse the ECU which could give error codes and the heater works fine. After removing the EGR valve assemblies I made up a bracket to brace the crossover pipe/heater housing to the cylinder head, more for support then for earthing as it is also earthed by the inlet manifold.
If the earth to the heater was bad it would reduce the current passing through the relay so would not cause burnt contacts. Burnt relay contacts would be caused either by over current ie. a full short of the heater wire to earth or the relay itself being bad due to corrosion etc.
The EGR and intake heater are both passive systems, activated by the ECU, not providing data to it so disconnecting either will not affect the other. I don't think the 'glow' light is used s a check engine indicator.

If you have removed the egr you do need a good earth I changed the heater relay after removing the egr on mine and when I started the car it earthed through the throttle linkage melting the throttle return Spring then I fitted an earth strap and it made that glow red hot so I had to fit a thick cable I have since removed it and fitted an intercooler when it starts from cold the revs do sit at around 500 and I get a small amount of sour smelling white smoke

Back