Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hdft ticking sound

oringo

Country Flag
tanzania
I have this ticking sound at the back of the engine on the left hand side that increase in pace not sound when i rev.Its also loud in the left side wheel arch but then i can't hear it on the right side of the engine. Any ideas what that could be.

For tracing noises like that I use a long screwdriver, the pointy end touching the part of the engine you want to listen to and the handle end pressed into your hear. Really helps to isolate where the noise is coming from.

Could be noisy injector?

Have you recently changed the oil? Our 24v picked up a "tick" with one brand of oil, its been documented on here a few times, went away when we changed to a different oil.

If the screwdriver method can reach or detect the noise, you can purchase a stethoscope for detecting mechanical noises, similar to that used by a doctor, but with a metal probe.

Regards

Dave

I also had this ticking noise. Really annoying!
Went almost away when I adjusted the valve clearance.
Now on the ferry from Tunisia after 2 weeks in the Sahara, playing in the sand dunes. Noise completely gone now.
Btw : 80 with the 24V engine is really the weapon of choice in the sand dunes. What a beast!

As mentioned by Firewout, these are "mechanical lifter" engines, so the valves do need to be adjusted properly. I believe there's a threaded screw on the rocker to do so, so you just need a feeler gauge to get the right spec

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back