Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hdt mystery coolant loss found. Name that hose?

Knucklehead

Hi,

I have been trying to track down a small coolant leak and had blamed everything from water pump to head gasket and all parts in between.
It was through pure chance that I finally noticed a drip while changing out my BEBs.

There is a small 2 inch hose just under the manifold. The following picture is taken underneath from the back of the block looking forward.

hose2.jpghose_close_up.jpg

The metal pipe at the rear of the hose goes up the back of the engine and connects to a rubber hose and then through the firewall so thinking part of rear heater pipework.

hose_firewall.jpg

The front metal pipe runs forward along the bottom of the block but I still haven't found where it ends up.
I have searched through my EPC and FSM but can find no sign of this right angle piece of rubber hose/pipe work.

Anybody replaced this hose/metal pipes and any idea of its name/part number?
I like to use OEM whenever I can but am starting to wonder if this is a PO botch job as the rubber hose seems a little half ass for Toyo.

Should be a real giggle replacing as can only get one arm at full stretch to reach it. Thinking I will need to take all the pipework off starting at the firewall to get at it properly.

I gave the clamp a small nip up but still have some of the red stuff escaping out.

Any thoughts regarding name/part numbers much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave.

petrol PHH

Cheers Justin,

I did previously find PHH mentioned on MUD for petrol engines where it is a hose that actually connects into the block but my problem hose is not like the pictures I have seen of PHH as it is in between two metal pipes unlike the petrol version that connects direct to the block:-

PHH.jpg

I am thinking the outcome is going to be much the same, strip the pipework down and replace with a piece of heater hose.
Was just surprised how back street the connection between the metal pipes looks and the fact that I can not find it shown in any manual I've looked at.

Cheers,
Dave.

Hi,

I have been trying to track down a small coolant leak and had blamed everything from water pump to head gasket and all parts in between.
It was through pure chance that I finally noticed a drip while changing out my BEBs.

There is a small 2 inch hose just under the manifold. The following picture is taken underneath from the back of the block looking forward.

View attachment 7633View attachment 7634

The metal pipe at the rear of the hose goes up the back of the engine and connects to a rubber hose and then through the firewall so thinking part of rear heater pipework.

View attachment 7635

The front metal pipe runs forward along the bottom of the block but I still haven't found where it ends up.
I have searched through my EPC and FSM but can find no sign of this right angle piece of rubber hose/pipe work.

Anybody replaced this hose/metal pipes and any idea of its name/part number?
I like to use OEM whenever I can but am starting to wonder if this is a PO botch job as the rubber hose seems a little half ass for Toyo.

Should be a real giggle replacing as can only get one arm at full stretch to reach it. Thinking I will need to take all the pipework off starting at the firewall to get at it properly.

I gave the clamp a small nip up but still have some of the red stuff escaping out.

Any thoughts regarding name/part numbers much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave.

Anybody know the part numbers for these two long metal coolant pipes and the small rubber hose conecting them?

I am now planning to change the pipes as well as the hose but cannot find these two particular pipes and connecting hose in my EPC.

My engine is the 1hdt diesel and not the petrol with the PHH mentioned on this site and others (short rubber hose that connects direct to the block as shown in the pic I took off MUD).

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave.

This might help, it's courtesy of Rosco, who is a member here on the forum.
It's from MUD of a 1HZ, and not a 1HD-T

robspics055-1.jpg

IQ

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi,

Many thanks for your help.

That definitely looks a similar sort of pipe.

What I don't understand, if you look back at my photos, there is only one hose clip. How can two metal coolant pipes with a rubber section in between be sealed with just a single clip? Would have thought there would need to be a clip at both ends of the rubber hose. Odd.

Anyhow, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Dave.

Hi,

I finally found out why I couldn't see my small piece of coolant hose in any service manual.
The PO had made a botch job to cover a hole in the No1 By-Pass pipe (shown in #5 above):-

strangeHoseHole.jpg

Having a look through the FSM, to get at this pipe, I am looking at removing the Air Intake, Air filter, Manifold/Turbo/Exhaust assembly and then figuring how to get the pipe out of the engine block as it seems to be a push fit in, no bolts/gaskets.

Anybody changed the By-Pass pipe with the engine still in the car?
Wondering what I could be getting myself into and looking at the rust state of the manifold nuts/studs, wondering how hard these are to remove without snapping off in the head?

Thinking this may be a job beyond my hand tools/capabilities.
Anybody know of Cruiser mechanics this side of the Irish sea?

As usual, any advice much appreciated.

Dave.

Hello Dave,
On 80 series TD the partnumber is 16268-17020. Its in the EPC at the radiator section. The waterhose is in the electrical section with heater and airco piping. Hose is 87209-60150.

You have to remove the turbo including the manifold in one go. Use a good 14mm socket and the nuts, probably including the studs, will come off or out.

I asume you know what to remove before pulling of the whole assembly ?

The pipe is pressed into the top of the thermostat housing wich is one part with the block. We mostly cut the pipe off and use a wrench to wring the head of the pipe out of the block.

The new one can be tapped in with a hammer using a little silicone kit to close any leak that could develop while tapping in the head. Its what we name a " cold fit ".

What you should check is the little pipe running across the engine behind the T belt housing. This is for the coolant supply to the turbocharger and we have found these being rusted away inside the little elbow hose coming from the top cilinderhead connection on the LHS of the cilinderhead. This is the aluminium piece that holds the top radiator hose. For this you have to remove the T Belt and the cover behind it.

Good luck. Martinus

Hello Martinus,

Thanks for your info. Sounds like I have another pipe to worry about failing!

I have been having a good read through the FSM and it sounds 'fairly' straightforward if it wasn't for every nut/bolt on my cruiser being rusted solid -Air intake off, exhaust disconnected then manifold/turbo off as a unit.

Bikes are more my thing and as much as I like to do all my own work like axle rebuilds and the likes, this might be a step too far.

In case I lose my nerve, do you have your own business or know anybody in Ireland or mainland who can carry out this job?

I have a friend working in UAE so can source all the parts required but finding somebody knowledgeable in my part of the world is a real problem.

Cheers,
Dave.

1HD-T motoren02.jpgMy pleasure Dave.

WEe have our own workshop in the Netherlands. But we are mostly orientated on the export market where we supply our products. we are also supplier to Toyota Gibraltar, Artic Trucks, Toyota Jordan etc. we build special equipment for these and other customers, also for the armouring industry that use Toyota Landcruisers. Driveline components and turbochargers are our specialty.

Some customers come to us, even over thousands of kilometres and that is nice but not every week as travelling costs money.

Maybe a good address could be Paul Lundstrom from Westcoastoffroad in Southport. He knows LC80's in and out and is a motorcycle guy as well.

I had 2 another good addresses close to Peterboroughbut one stopped with Toyota and his son is now doing Mitsubishi Corby ( used to be Collyweston Garage ) and the other one moved last year to Perth ( Australia ).

To be honest; Ill think its crazy that in a country with so much automotive knowledge and so many Landcruisers running around there is so little expertise on these vehicles. I can't explain but maybe that is because I can dream those vehicles inside out and think others can too ?

Good luck. Martinus.

Back