Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hdt rough idle, please help!

Benscott

Hi, I'll make it sort and sweet,

i own an 80series 1hd-t
rebuilt engine, (injector pump, injectors, turbo, engine 60*** ago)

got a problem where the engine starts shaking badly at idle, Only sometimes, cold or hot, mostly hot. When it's running rough, you can feel the exhaust flow that there is 1 or more cylinder not firing/not firing properly, or missing completely, no noticeable change in rpm. Seems like it comes in stages, so one cylinder will drop out, then another, and then it starts running rough. If you hold the engine to one side by just pulling on the inlet manifold with force, it stops shaking/missing, and you can hear the engine running a lot better! exhaust has a steady flow to it, So, I changed the engine mounts. A little difference, but hasn't fixed the problem. So i cracked the injector lines, and no matter what injector I crack open while it's running rough, the engine runs better, less shaking and less noise coming front the engine!. If you put the aircon on while it's running rough, most of the time it stops and runs smoothly, same if you put it in 1st and put a bit of load on it . Bit hard to explain. Other then that, car runs, starts, idles fine sometimes. Goes hard, exhaust temps normal (250c) at 80km. No hesitation. anyhelp would be great, thanks

Last edited:
Hi Benscott,

I would suspect the rebuilt injector pump but I guess it could also be an injector miss firing?? Perhaps the fuel supply to the pump could be marginal and would benefit from the lines being checked?

I suspect it wouldn't be a hard thing for a good diesel mechanic to diagnose and therefore worth booking in for an hour of old fashioned diags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you recently changed the fuel filter?

Have you recently changed the fuel filter?

Yes, changed fuel filter, air filter, checked fuel supply with clear hose between filter housing and injector pump.

Im guessing it is hopefully an injector or two, due to the fact that I had put a bottle of injector cleaner/additive in the main tank since full, when the tank was just about empty, and I switched to the sub tank, it started to fun crap again, more then when I was running the main tank with the additive.

Hey Benscott how you goin with cruiser? Im having same dramas and cant seem to work it out. Have you managed to find a fix yet?

Yes, changed fuel filter, air filter, checked fuel supply with clear hose between filter housing and injector pump.

Im guessing it is hopefully an injector or two, due to the fact that I had put a bottle of injector cleaner/additive in the main tank since full, when the tank was just about empty, and I switched to the sub tank, it started to fun crap again, more then when I was running the main tank with the additive.
Hi dear Benscott
Did you fix your car ?
Can you tell us about problem ? How you fix that

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interesting thread. I've got some vibration but not like what's described here. I would guess this one has something to do with a blocked tank filter or other. Mine on the other hand… I suspect pump delivery valves as it goes like a train but vibrates a bit at just up off idle.

Back