Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HZ swap info

man2112

Country Flag
united_states
Does anyone have any info or YouTube videos on doing a 1HZ swap in to a gas 70 series? All of the trucks that I can import for a decent price have the 4.5L gas engine, and I'd prefer to have a 1HZ, and I'm curious about how much is entailed.

I dont know the answer to your exact question. But I've owned the 4500cc petrol powered 79 pickup whilst living in the middle east, and currently own a 1HZ powered troop carrier in europe. Both 2009 produced models. Both absolutely identical in the cabin and engine bay (apart from the obvious of course). I can't see why there would be an issue.
The 1FZ has a lot more get up and go power than the 1HZ, I'm sure you know. If you have the chance, a 1HDft diesel motor is a lot more responsive and less sluggish than the 1HZ, and is probably more preferable for highway driving. But the 1HZ is the ultimate in basic reliability and I am still in love with it.

I dont know the answer to your exact question. But I've owned the 4500cc petrol powered 79 pickup whilst living in the middle east, and currently own a 1HZ powered troop carrier in europe. Both 2009 produced models. Both absolutely identical in the cabin and engine bay (apart from the obvious of course). I can't see why there would be an issue.
The 1FZ has a lot more get up and go power than the 1HZ, I'm sure you know. If you have the chance, a 1HDft diesel motor is a lot more responsive and less sluggish than the 1HZ, and is probably more preferable for highway driving. But the 1HZ is the ultimate in basic reliability and I am still in love with it.
Thanks for the info.

You can't get either 70 series land cruisers or ANY diesel from Toyota in the US (for some reason Toyota sells ONLY gasoline vehicles in the US, no matter how much they tease bringing a diesel here).

So for me it's kind of the uniqueness of having a diesel landcruiser that is doubly rare in the US, so really either diesel engine would make me happy, I just assumed that a 1HZ would be easier.

The 1HZ was originally designed for Toyota’s mini bus, but eventually earmarked for the evolution of the 70 series landcruiser models. Subsequent evolutions of the 1HZ are the turbo fitted variants 1HD-T, 1HD-FT, & 1HD-FTE, the latter two being 24 valve versions. In my opinion these are the finest motors Toyota ever produced. They sank a LOT of money into R&D for this motor.
All the turbo variants share the same block as the 1HZ, just with the extra plumbing that comes with a turbo, and an inter cooler.
But I am quite happy with my 1HZ, because the kind of Offroad driving I do it is way more than enough. A very low down, guttural kind of power you will never find in any petrol powered engine.

Ahh, I never knew the HZ and the HD block were the same, that makes sense. I should have known that based on the Toyota block naming structure, but never put two and two together.

That sounds like the prevalence of the Cummins 6BT in the US, especially the 12 valve mechanical injection version. That engine was put in anything and everything, and they go forever and thrive on neglect and abuse.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
as

Hi mate, whats the idea behind running with gas? i have no experience with these to be honest....
cheers luka

Are you asking why Toyota only sells gas vehicles in the US? If so, that's a question that us Americans have been asking forever. Those of us that actually use our trucks off-road have been wanting a Diesel land cruiser, Hilux, or a Tacoma for AGES...

But for some reason in the US Toyota only wants to cater to the people who want to LOOK like they go off road, but don't actually go off road. Don't get me wrong, Tacomas are great trucks, but they aren't a 70 series cruiser....

If I had to guess, it's because diesel emissions rules in the US (California specifically) are incredibly strict. You can argue about why forever, but very few vehicles in the US are diesel powered. Pretty much only heavy duty trucks are diesel.

I'd LOVE to have a 70 series diesel cruiser pickup, but the only way to get them is by import.

Thanks for your answer. I didnt know that you guys cant get diesel over there. sad to hear

Back