Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HZ vs 1HZDT

trackless

Country Flag
australia
Hi to all and apologies if I'm in the wrong place. I actually own and like my Land Rover D4!
Mate of mine is looking to rebuild his 1HZ engine and is also thinking of adding a turbo.
I always thought there was not a huge difference in the bottom end of either the 1HZ or the 1HZDT with the factory turbo engine essentially throwing more oil at the bottom of the pistons to cool them!
Can anyone throw some light my way re this.
Thanks in advance.
Whilst I love my D4 I have recently finished a complete body off rebuild of my daughter's '79 BJ40. It truly looks amazing and she loves it.

Tks

Trackless

Hey im no expert but only heard people mostly on Australia converting the 1HZ to 1HDT equivalent. Not all do change all necessary complements but from my research pistons, injectors, manifold, added turbo, rear turbo exhaust pipe, bottom end oil pain needs to be ported amongst the cooling lines to the turbo from the engine, Inlet manifold pipe needs modification etc to the turbo. Also not all do this so its often better / cheaper to change the engine unit then the expense and hardship in changing to another specification.

Last edited:
There are turbos made specifically for the 1hz if you are so inclined.

Back