Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hz78 non turbo - flat spots

Cjwestoz

Country Flag
australia
Hi all

My non turbo 1hz 2004 manual troopy (125000kms) has flat spot most gears at 2000-2600rpm. I can power through no problems but if i just want to slowly build up speed or even cruise in that range its a pain. not sure if related but the car has a whistling sound almost like its a turbo. any ideas?

Cheers

Cj

Whistling sounds suggest an air leak in the intake. Trouble is, I don't know how that would give you flat spots, unless you're air filter is blocked.

First place to check is air filter, and if in doubt, run it with the filter out just enough to go through all the gears to see if it makes a difference.

On my 80, the air pipe from the filter to the throttle body was split, almost all the way round and just about invisible till I removed it.

Update
I fixed the flat spots by blanking the egr however still whistles so need to investigate further, will check for cracks. Thanks!

Update
I fixed the flat spots by blanking the egr however still whistles so need to investigate further, will check for cracks. Thanks!
Your description of your hesitation issue describes my current issue exactly. I have a 2003 1HZ Troopy from Aus with 200K on it. I am new to diesels, can you describe or show me a couple of pics of what you did to solve this? The issue was very subtle when driving in Aus, but now in Canada the issue is much more tedious.

Your description of your hesitation issue describes my current issue exactly. I have a 2003 1HZ Troopy from Aus with 200K on it. I am new to diesels, can you describe or show me a couple of pics of what you did to solve this? The issue was very subtle when driving in Aus, but now in Canada the issue is much more tedious.
I went ahead and blocked the EGR pipe, with a thick blanked out gasket, just before it enters the air intake. it made a difference, but only about 65 - 70% of the hesitation was removed. I wonder what the remaining 30 - 35% is caused by.

Blockage in snorkel ? Disconnect it and see how she runs then

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Blockage in snorkel ? Disconnect it and see how she runs then
Thanks for your comment on my resurrection of this old thread.
It seems I spoke too soon in my previous post. Blocking the EGR has now completely solved the hesitation issue. I had previously bypassed the fuel filters to see if blockage in there might be causing the problem. I reconnected them when I blocked the EGR. I think the residual issue was from air in the fuel line that has now worked its way through.

Back