Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1kd cold

2toyotas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi again, i have a question, the 3.0 D4D, every morning, or cold start do you really need to sit and wait for it to warm up, i do, i have replaced EVERYTHING, injectors/seats/seals, air mass, serviced when recommended, use the recommended oils, but no every morning it sounds like steam engine, any advice

Not sure what you're asking. Is it too noisy at cold? Why do you have to wait, cant you just drive it?

Not sure what you're asking. Is it too noisy at cold? Why do you have to wait, cant you just drive it?
If anyone else is experiencing the same thing, is it a normal thing for car??

I think they're all a bit noisy when they first start up, and quieten down when they get warmer. Is yours OK when its warmed up?

But its hard to say if yours is/isn't normal without hearing it.

See what the experts say anyway...

Glow plugs?
Mine is also more noisy when cold,but in a normal way. Mostly I can hear it when accelerating

I think they're all a bit noisy when they first start up, and quieten down when they get warmer. Is yours OK when its warmed up?

But its hard to say if yours is/isn't normal without hearing it.

See what the experts say anyway...
Now runs perfect when warm, but seriously can't even move it before its warm, when left idling no issue, drive it wow sounds im hitting 2 hammers together, experts can't find a fault with it

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glow plugs?
Mine is also more noisy when cold,but in a normal way. Mostly I can hear it when accelerating
Mine 2, but really loud, could be, think thats next on my list to do, didnt really check them, didnt really think they had an issue with them

Warn injectors are known to cause it to be noisy. How many miles on the 120 and do you know if the injectors have ever been changed?

You can check if the injectors are within tolerance using techstream.

Mine was very noisy on cold start, and is much better since I replaced the injectors

Warn injectors are known to cause it to be noisy. How many miles on the 120 and do you know if the injectors have ever been changed?

You can check if the injectors are within tolerance using techstream.

Mine was very noisy on cold start, and is much better since I replaced the injectors
Had the injectors changed, had them re checked, replaced the air temperature sensor, its been on 2 different diagnostic machines, no faults, normal readings

Have you changed your SCV? Mine was quieter and smoother all round after changing it.

I doubt its that though if its toally undriveable when its cold!

Maybe get a video so we can hear how it sounds? Although if its just loud its hard to get a sense of it from a video, but if its like banging two hammers together like you say, maybe it will be more obvious....

Personally I'm not sure the glow plugs would affect anything other than the starting, and it doesn't sounds like you have a problem with that? I dont think they actually stay on when the engine is running? (Or do they?)

Maybe you can make a video of your live diag data when its cold, then we could compare it to ours and see if we can spot any obvious differences....

Just a thought, do you ever use pwr heat / idle-up to warm it up quicker?

Glow plugs are doing its job when engine is cold. Problems with bad plugs can be misfire,loss of power...
Sister had problems with glow plugs,that is how I know
I agree,video would be nice

I think that sounds a lot rougher than it should be when you start to drive mate. See what others think, but that doesn't sound right to me.

Startup and idle sounds fine though....

I think that sounds a lot rougher than it should be when you start to drive mate. See what others think, but that doesn't sound right to me.

Startup and idle sounds fine though....
Start up and idle is normal, no misfires, no smoke, just the driving from cold, everyday i have to use power heat to get her upto to temperature before driving, normal takes 10mins for engine to warm up, and then runs perfect, no funny noises, not burning oil, not using coolant, doesnt use excessive fuel, its not down on power, kick down is instant smooth acceleration, its rather annoying as i know the engine runs perfect

I'm with Karl, that does sound quite rough when driving.

Do you have access to techstream to check the injector values at cold and hot?

No i dont, i did have them replaced 5000miles ago, and had them checked twice by separate garages, i had issues with the air mass sensor, but all replaced and running well apart from the the cold start, how do i get this techstream

Did you get your injectors changed trying to solve this problem?

Has it been like this since you owned it, or did it just start suddenly?

Back