Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1kd d4d EGR blanking

Andykdj95

Country Flag
great_britain
can't seem to get this one out of my head! I understand that the 1kd EGR blanking plate would need a hole in it to allow turbo boost gas to escape correct ? So could you not fit a pipe through that hole and then back out the side wall of the EGR pipe (on the blanked side) with a filter on? So the EGR is blocked and the boost gas can escape? Bare in mind I'm a carpenter so please go easy on me on this one lol

Your boost is likely around 9psi and boost demands a sealed system or it cannot get up to pressure and you will have no turbo .

I haven't looked at my own d4d egr but i have to guess the the egr exits the exhaust to be recirculated in a separate place from where the boost is bled off into the same system and if that's true then a single solid plate blocking the egr at entry (on the exhaust) is what i would be aiming for leaving everything else as is .

The egr system then becomes nothing but a boost bleed and i struggle to accept the computer will shut you down because the engine is running too clean .

Its all theory on my part but i'm thinking our Ozzie friends who lead the way in this are forced to unblock the system at mot time and so they block/limit egr with a perforated plate at re-entry allowing for easy access and removal .

Your boost is likely around 9psi and boost demands a sealed system or it cannot get up to pressure and you will have no turbo .

I haven't looked at my own d4d egr but i have to guess the the egr exits the exhaust to be recirculated in a separate place from where the boost is bled off into the same system and if that's true then a single solid plate blocking the egr at entry (on the exhaust) is what i would be aiming for leaving everything else as is .

The egr system then becomes nothing but a boost bleed and i struggle to accept the computer will shut you down because the engine is running too clean .

Its all theory on my part but i'm thinking our Ozzie friends who lead the way in this are forced to unblock the system at mot time and so they block/limit egr with a perforated plate at re-entry allowing for easy access and removal .
So if I've got this right Shayne your idea is to find were the gas first splits from the exhaust and block it at source. Leaving the now redundant EGR pipe work to act as the turbo boost bleed. It makes sense in my head, it's just as well engines aren't perfect or we'd have nothing to think about lol

That's my idea Andy but i haven't actually looked at the engine to see how or even if it can be done .

If your going to spend the weekend playing with this then i and i'm sure many others would be grateful for pics :thumbup:

Personally i am sick of dodging rain while trying to get on with things that require no thought :icon-rolleyes:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No rain here in The Gambia ! Lol but will be returning back to sunny Jersey on the weekend

EGR the plot thickens, as I have plenty of time on my hands ( relaxing in the Gambian sun lol) I dropped a quick email to those nice people at Ozbush electronics.
This was my question
Hi I'm interested in your EGR blanking system,
With a 2001 1kd-ftv 3l Diesel engine can I blank the EGR with no hole? If so we're dose the turbo dump dump its excess pressure to?
Andrew,
And there reply

Before we rush into any further, could you find out one thing?

Please take look at the engine and locate the EGR valve.

Is your EGR valve has EGR vale position sensor attach to it?

You can use our Manual Mapper if you have the EGR valve position sensor. It is a triangular looking piece with 3 wire connector.

I have a photo attached in this email.

Our system is using full blanking plate without any hole. And using EGR valve position sensor the Mapper will simulate EGR condition precisely so the car computer thinks all is fine.

You can also do the minor fuel trimming so you can tune your engine a bit.

The EGR valve is not used as a turbo wastegate dump, Hot and fiery pressurised exhaust gas will flood in to the inlet manifold every time EGR valve is open without exception.

By the design, diesel engine do not require waste gate, the cylinder piston is the wastegate system.

All it takes to turn crankshaft once then all the pressure is released. Diesel has no throttle body, no premixed fuel or spark plug there is no any danger for pinging or backfire.

Some diesel do have turbo wastegate but it is for maximum rpm limiter.

The turbo pressure control is very easy in diesel engine, unlike petrol engine.

I have a file attached to this email for you to read.

Thanks

Young

Ozbush Electronics
page1image972

EGR Gas Cooler that Kills Engine like Flies

ooler that Kills Engine like Flies

Fallacy of the EGR Emission system.

Everyone pays attention when the fuel pump or injector problem arises which can be very important for the welfare of the engine.
But nobody seems to care about EGR gas cooler being a ticking time bomb.
The EGR system stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation to control the city smog gas that is Nitrous Oxide gas (NOx) which generated by full temperature diesel combustion.

The earth's atmosphere contains a large amount of natural Nitrogen gas (78%) and Oxygen (21%) as the dominant contents of air which we breath.
So the proper full temperature diesel combustion naturally produces NOx gas, but it causes light yellowish exhaust gas which we called city smog. But I don’t think it is really that harmful to human health compare to what comes out of half burnt fuel with EGR. The lowered combustion in diesel engine produces so many harmful carcinogenic substances (cancer causing gases) the city smog gas is not so harmful considering what the EGR system produces.
To lower the smog (NOx), EGR system has been invented since 1970s on petrol engine and I might say it was very successful.
The idea behind is, to reduce the NOx emission they choose to lower the combustion temperature by recirculating part of the exhaust gas back into the inlet to interfere full combustion so the Nitrogen gas will not have a full chemical reaction to cause NOx gas.
In petrol engine they only need minute amount of exhaust gas to recirculate to achieve the level of NOx gas therefore they didn’t need to cool down the hot exhaust gas.
However, in diesel engine due to high compression, they needed a large amount of exhaust gas to recirculate (up to 20%) to achieve the same level of NOx gas emission.
You can’t just recirculate such large amount of hot fiery exhaust gas straight into the inlet without causing many other issues and they needed to be cool the gas down to acceptable lower temperature.

The EGR gas cooler is a device which cools very hot fiery exhaust gas before they feed into the inlet manifold. The engine coolant is used to cool down the hot exhaust gas and this gas cooler will be corroded (burnt) as it encounters the fire daily.

It starts to leak engine coolant very slowly into the inlet at the fire front side section and the driver would not

know what is happening because the whole symptom is so insidiously slow and gives no indication unless you check the coolant level every day.
Then one day it will suddenly go into full blown coolant leak and by the time you realised that there is something is going wrong, it is usually too late.

Seems to me that is not an engine specific reply ?

More like buy our stuff and you will be fine !

Again thinking out loud and not from experience just conversely ,

i would imagine the egr valve is vacuum driven and the sensor will only tell the ecu if its open or closed , so if you block the egr on re-entry to the intake you will cancel the vacuum preventing the valve from opening and the ecu will recognize a fault .

If as i suspect the valve is driven by a vacuum pipe coming from the turbo it will still work if the egr is blocked where it exits the exhaust giving the ecu no cause for alarm .

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited:
Crank gas is a separate thing , a catch can is the common cure as venting into the atmosphere is illegal and usually a very obvious modification to spark a testers interest .

Not so!
Technically its illegal but I don't know of anyone who restores the system at our rego time.
I have a 90 and 100 with EGR removed and no vent holes drilled anywhere. Simply block it off forever.

I think you'll find most countries make it illegal to vent any crankcase type gases into the atmosphere.

If you want some specific owner feedback/info on Prado mods the look at then Ozzie forum-
http://www.pradopoint.com/
You might have to join but its free.

EGR now blocked had to take a few things of to get access, about an hour and a halfs work and the obligatory bad back. Still need to block the water pipes,or connect the 2 on the cooler together, and I think the one that supplies the cooler should be connected to or replace the one that goes into the block lower down?

Surely you can just loop the water pipes so that the water circulates through as it should, rather than just block it?

Surely you can just loop the water pipes so that the water circulates through as it should, rather than just block it?
I think the reason for stoping water circulating through the cooler is 1 it's no longer used and 2 they have been known to give up on the inside and leak coolant into the engine, that's my understanding after some reading.

Back